New way to sharpen chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
I can honestly say that this never occurred to me. Probably for good reason.

Saw this a while ago - I guess it would work - same idea as a grinder - but I can't see it working well - I suppose it may work in a pinch. Cheers!

Some practice and a nice light touch...should work just fine.

Ought to work great, if you don't care what you say.

Most people have no idea what a truly sharp chain is really like.

Reactions: flyingcow
Ought to work great, if you don't care what you say.

Most people have no idea what a truly sharp chain is really like.

True that, my life was changed when I discovered the beauty of a well kept chain! >>

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
True that, my life was changed when I discovered the beauty of a well kept chain! >>

I was just reading old posts, You did great getting the 555 over a 460.

I am just North of Lacrosse WI, what part of Northern Iowa are you at. I used to hunt a lot around Cresco.

agreed! i just picked up the husky file roller guide and it makes a huge difference. I have been free handing for 15yrs.....

Reactions: Wildo
agreed! i just picked up the husky file roller guide and it makes a huge difference. I have been free handing for 15yrs.....

I love mine as well. It makes filing almost idiot proof. I am still able to screw that up by my exceptional natural ability to be a dumbass on a far less frequent occasion.

I was just reading old posts, You did great getting the 555 over a 460.

I am just North of Lacrosse WI, what part of Northern Iowa are you at. I used to hunt a lot around Cresco.

Yeah, I'm really happy with that choice. I'm glad people here turned me on to that option.

I am between Blue Earth MN and Algona IA. That's a couple hours from Cresco, but I've been meaning to do some fly fishing out that way.

I sharpen with a file every 2-3 gas tanks. It helps a lot but even with the guide bar to help me I am still pretty sure I am not doing a great job. I still can't get my own sharpening to cut like a brand new blade. But when my teeth get dull i sure can tell and there is a monumental difference when I hand file them...but still I know i'm doing a piss poor job.

I touch up every 3-4 tanks as well. Hand file touch up = less bad. When she starts cutting crooked you know it's time to do something!

Ummm, I think I 'll pass on the angle grinder!:eek:

I am pretty happy with my system.

Oregon 511AX, that is a magnet in the back to catch metal filings.

fd66on.jpg

This is a Tecomec for rakers. Note the profile on the wheel.

rhlpuv.jpg

The bench is quite high so you don't have to bend over to see the cutters. You can't have to much light.

6ss3fl.jpg

65tmjc.jpg

Reactions: embers aplenty
I'm really happy I didn't have to pay for your system. ;lol Not many non-professionals need a setup anything like yours. But you're obviously quite proud of it, as you should be. Chainsaws must be a big part of your day, eh? Rick

fd66on.jpg

rhlpuv.jpg

The bench is quite high so you don't have to bend over to see the cutters. You can't have to much light.

6ss3fl.jpg

65tmjc.jpg

Well... This doesn't make me feel inadequate at all!

Seriously, nice setup!

Reactions: fossil
That poor grinder is undersized for that job. The guy should be using a 12" or at least 9" !!!
Seriously, I thought MY old man used an angle grinder for everything...

I'm really happy I didn't have to pay for your system. ;lol Not many non-professionals need a setup anything like yours. But you're obviously quite proud of it, as you should be. Chainsaws must be a big part of your day, eh? Rick

Winters in Wisconsin are less than desirable. I would move South in a heartbeat but that won't fly with the significant other since the grandkids are about 100 miles away.

Anyway cutting firewood is my hobby and is a self sustaining one at that. All of my toys, err... saws, splitter, what have you were all paid for with firewood proceeds. I cut wood for exercise and to make Spring get here faster when the golf course opens up. A buddy of mine and I also do some tree jobs so the mad money just never seems to go away.

The funny thing is I have so much new chain sitting on the bench, but I am keeping the old ones going till there is nothing left. I really dislike dull chains.

Reactions: fossil
That poor grinder is undersized for that job. The guy should be using a 12" or at least 9" !!!
Seriously, I thought MY old man used an angle grinder for everything...

Angle grinders with a 60 grit sandpaper disc can put an absolutely scary sharp edge on axes._g

One of the most used tools on my house has been an angle grinder with a flap wheel on it.I started with a new china grinder,wore it out and the flap wheel is still going.Used it for the rough areas on my logs,for the pitch pockets they plug up sandpaper,used it to sculpt logs to fit brackets,use it to fine tune molding back side to fit against irregular areas,and found it was awesome to sharpen chisels,planer blades.I have a good eye for sharpening,when i was young an old timer took me under his wing and showed me how to sharpen knives,axes,chisels ect, and hang handles on hammers,ax's.ect.
Thomas

fd66on.jpg

rhlpuv.jpg

6ss3fl.jpg

65tmjc.jpg
You can either wrap the magnet in Saran type wrap or put it in a plastic bag to make cleaning it a little easier.

Reactions: Sinngetreu and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.