New with a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedogg

Nov 5, 2007
WI
I just bought my first pellet stove, its 2 years old. I have a straight horizantal run about 2 feet long out the back. When I watch the outside vent hot ashes are flying out alot. When its on high does it everytime pellets drop down from the hopper. On low not as bad but still some. Now is that normal I called the "toll free number" and they said thats what it does, Im just affriad of burning down the grass and the house. Its 18 inchs off the ground and 13 inchs away from the outside wall. So is that what its suppose to do. Thank you in advance Tory

Yes, it's normal for some sparks to blow out the exhaust when the pellets fall into the pot. What stove is this? Can you add a vertical section at least 5 ft. high on the exterior?

Pelpro and yes I can add up as high as I want, would that help that hot ash thing. And do I just a 90 or a tee, thanks

Follow the manual's recommendations on page 8.

You should be worried, I believe you need to be 24in from the ground and 24in from any other combustible surfaces (nearby walls). Except the wall it comes out of I think its only a 12" clearance. I would get a clean-out Tee go up about 5 ft and then put on a 90 elbow and the cap. That should give the embers time to burn out before existing the cap. It will also give you some natural; draft in case of a power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.