1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

new wood arrived

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by JAred, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAred

JAred New Member

I'd say I mostly happy for 130 bucks it's a mix of poplar, cottonwood and An amazing amount of elm. It's dry from what I can tell. Only complant is that some of the lenghts vary and even noticed a couple that are to long... any way it's much better than pine everyone else was trying to sell me for 180 bucks plus a cord....

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Cotton wood and poplar ? Pine is a higher BTU burning wood than cotton wood , that puppy is at the bottom of BTU heating. I dont think poplar is a lot better. Now ash is right up ther at the top , i hope you got a lot af ash wood and not so much cotton wood. http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Poplar ain't anywhere near the highest BTU content in the world but it is a delight to burn. Burns clean and ash is almost non-existent with it. If it is dry. Easy to tell if it is because it will be so light. If it is wet you can't burn it with a blowtorch. Use it for your daytime wood when someone is around to feed the stove.
  4. JAred

JAred New Member

after stacking it I would say half of it is elm, 1/4 cottonwood, 1/4 poplar. I'm I correct in saying the poplar has a redish tint to most of it? also prior to this load, a picked some wood up from a co worker. He said it was poplar but it does not look anything like the "poplar" I have now could I be wrong about species here? OR ARE THERE other names for poplar?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.