new wood arrived

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAred

Nov 18, 2005
I'd say I mostly happy for 130 bucks it's a mix of poplar, cottonwood and An amazing amount of elm. It's dry from what I can tell. Only complant is that some of the lenghts vary and even noticed a couple that are to long... any way it's much better than pine everyone else was trying to sell me for 180 bucks plus a cord....

Attachments

• trhree.jpg
    trhree.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 468
Jared said:
I'd say I mostly happy for 130 bucks it's a mix of poplar, cottonwood and An amazing amount of elm. It's dry from what I can tell. Only complant is that some of the lenghts vary and even noticed a couple that are to long... any way it's much better than pine everyone else was trying to sell me for 180 bucks plus a cord....
Cotton wood and poplar ? Pine is a higher BTU burning wood than cotton wood , that puppy is at the bottom of BTU heating. I dont think poplar is a lot better. Now ash is right up ther at the top , i hope you got a lot af ash wood and not so much cotton wood. http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Poplar ain't anywhere near the highest BTU content in the world but it is a delight to burn. Burns clean and ash is almost non-existent with it. If it is dry. Easy to tell if it is because it will be so light. If it is wet you can't burn it with a blowtorch. Use it for your daytime wood when someone is around to feed the stove.

after stacking it I would say half of it is elm, 1/4 cottonwood, 1/4 poplar. I'm I correct in saying the poplar has a redish tint to most of it? also prior to this load, a picked some wood up from a co worker. He said it was poplar but it does not look anything like the "poplar" I have now could I be wrong about species here? OR ARE THERE other names for poplar?

Status
Not open for further replies.