New wood boiler system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumbaris

Dec 11, 2009
NE In
I'm planning on installing a wood boiler system in the new home we're building. I have aquired an old Standard [ before it was American Standard] boiler. The boiler is still sound and we had it in sections to get it up the basement steps so i could inspect the nipples that join the sections. It originally fired on coal so there is a large firebox. I plan on powerdafting it to keep the fire good and hot, the heat wiil be stored in a 1800gal. un pressurized tank via hxs. boiler will be under pressure. What I'm trying to figure out is how to change this to a gasser. I know the units are quite complex but the theory is really not. Maybe a false floor, somekind of nozzle or nozzles and some piping for primary and secondary air. Anybody ever tried anything this hairbrained out there

Many folks have tried it with varying degrees of success. Gasifiers have surprisingly complex engineering, despite looking simple. Couple of technical challenges to be aware of:

1) The primary chamber is filled with extremely noxious and toxic fumes under pressure during operation. The door seals must be perfect.

2) Secondary combustion temperatures are quite high. I've reduced a wide array of expensive refractory materials and exotic alloys to gravel.

3) The ratios of primary air to secondary air to nozzle cross section are somewhat critical. Secondary combustion chamber volume may be in that mix as well.

Don't be discouraged, but be prepared for a more weighty challenge than you might expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.