New Wood burner added to the pile! Lots of questions to come!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Eco Bricks still don't come near the birch in heat. Of course not loading the stove either and am just stickin my toes in the water 1 at a time

I can't quite explain this one...but my best effort is this. Ecobricks like friends. They prefer to be close to each other. If you spread them out and only burn one or two (maybe three depending on the size of your firebox) they won't burn as well as if they are right up against each other (more than that though, and you risk having a raging inferno as they manage to get temps up anyway even further apart). They feed off each other-fire likes heat. If you light a few sticks and place them at each side of the stove, they won't burn nearly as well as if you put them next to each other.

Reactions: raybonz
It's @ 4 pounds less though ;)

We checked it out when we were there, the 6 brick packs are like 21lb and the 8 brick packs are 24 or 25lb.
Yup I was surprised to see this.. I only bought them to try out and they do burn well. Good for new wood burners to mix in with their "seasoned" wood they just bought ;)

Ray

Yup I was surprised to see this.. I only bought them to try out and they do burn well. Good for new wood burners to mix in with their "seasoned" wood they just bought ;)

Ray

This is exactly what we did last year. I might keep a few packs around going forward just in case we both get sick and don't want to go out to bring in wood, or if we actually get a mega storm and want to stay inside. We only have enough space inside for @2 days worth (and that's with our wood box and filling a big ole plastic tote if we choose to).

Welcome aboard! Being a second year burner, having a dry wood source was my biggest battle, so I'd say that is critical.

I found it handy to label my wood stacks, with species and when it was put up. That way I don't have to rely on my memory.

Now about that whole naked/half naked thing.........

Are you buring eco bricks or another brand?

We've tried Ecobricks and another brand...I think it was Wood Brick Fuel. The two were NOT similar in burning. The ecobricks came from tractor supply in 8 brick packs, Wood brick fuel was a 12? pack from a local place. Ecobricks: They DO burn hot. I don't think they burn as long as good hardwood. I've put well more than two in my stove. I prefer to mix them with splits for the best burn times. A split on each side with 3-4 bricks between and maybe another split or two on top-I got 12 hour burns from that. The trick with them is, read the package. Do as they say. Don't allow a lot of air space, but do allow for them to expand a little. Wood brick fuel: Smelled like pine. Fell apart quickly once lit, burned poorly when we cut back the air. IMO, junk. Wouldnt' buy them again.

In the pic, your ecologs/bricks are too far apart, you're giving them too much air space. With two you're probably ok, but if you add too many like that you're going to be seeing what nuclear means in a stove. I give them maybe 1/4" between them, usually right next to each other with space on the sides, front and back for expansion (they "grow" a bit as the burn). The idea is to get them together so they basically become one big brick as they burn, maxing your burn time and lessinging the "run away" possiblities.
Are you adding them to an existing coal bed or how do you get that all burning? Doesn't placing them so close together choke them? Maybe you could post a pic or two of your progression and resulting fire?

The Eco Bricks still don't come near the birch in heat. Of course not loading the stove either and am just stickin my toes in the water 1 at a time

If that picture is with the air half way open, try cutting it back some more until the flames start to get lazy. You should see the secondary burning at the burn tubes pick up. That will give you more heat output.

I've been burning some bagged white birch from the initial start up, but I am now learning how to burn eco bricks. From what I have heard they burn hot and long, but again the installers said no more than one in there at a time. Contradicts what some eco burners here say. I have found they are difficult to get burning and they come now where near as hot as the birch did with an even smaller fire. I felt brave and put TWO in there and it barely reached the burn zone. See the image below for the thermo with a bed of coals and two eco logs, air on mid point. I really don't have any split wood yet, although I have quite a few trees which I have ear marked for death.

View attachment 86646 View attachment 86648

Turn the light off in the room (pitch black) and look around the door gasket and if you see flame flicker between your steel and gasket you may have a gasket issue or a door issue, I had a bad gasket on mine from the manufacture replaced it and it took care of black glass in the corners.

Are you adding them to an existing coal bed or how do you get that all burning? Doesn't placing them so close together choke them? Maybe you could post a pic or two of your progression and resulting fire?

Haven't been burning that way this season. Usually it was an AM load on a pretty much burnt down coal bed. One split north.south on each side, eco bricks tight to each other east/west between them. A couple little splits on top, one towards the front to make a little "niche" for a fire starter against the front most eco brick. A little kindling on top of that and away it goes.

Nope, they like to be close. Believe me, if you give anything-wood or ecobricks-too much air space on a full load, you'll likely get a run away stove.

Haven't been burning that way this season. Usually it was an AM load on a pretty much burnt down coal bed. One split north.south on each side, eco bricks tight to each other east/west between them. A couple little splits on top, one towards the front to make a little "niche" for a fire starter against the front most eco brick. A little kindling on top of that and away it goes.

Nope, they like to be close. Believe me, if you give anything-wood or ecobricks-too much air space on a full load, you'll likely get a run away stove.
When you say north south or east west, that's laying them length wise with east west the same as left right and north south front to back lengthwise? My firebox is about 1.8 cu ft, and I tried this evening putting 2 next to each other tight like you said, and with coals left and right of them and some underneath. The logs caught quickly, I brought the air closed down and it lasted about two and a half hours. The temp barely reached the "burn" demarcations and left some nice embers but no heat. No way this would ever wait for me in the morning to reload. Any ideas? I also don't know if I need to adjust up or down for the therm reading where it is located.

When you say north south or east west, that's laying them length wise with east west the same as left right and north south front to back lengthwise? My firebox is about 1.8 cu ft, and I tried this evening putting 2 next to each other tight like you said, and with coals left and right of them and some underneath. The logs caught quickly, I brought the air closed down and it lasted about two and a half hours. The temp barely reached the "burn" demarcations and left some nice embers but no heat. No way this would ever wait for me in the morning to reload. Any ideas? I also don't know if I need to adjust up or down for the therm reading where it is located.
http://www.premierfirewoodcompany.com/
http://vermontgoodwood.com/
http://ctdrywood.com/
http://firewoods.net/ne/CT.aspx
or similar..

This is what you will need for now.

You need to buy green wood cut split and stacked for next year and beyond.. Figure at least 3 cord a year for 24/7 burning..

Ray

Not sure if they are available in your area but the energy logs in my signature will give you heat and coals in the morning.

I see two things in your photos... first, you're using a Rutland thermometer, and those are notoriously inaccurate. Use something to calibrate it, make sure it's right. Second, is where you're measuring a known-good place to get a measurement? I run my stove-top thermometer at 500F - 600F when it sits on the top-load door, but if I move it to the corner (main top surface) of the stove, it only sees 200 - 300F.

The comment about eco bricks being happier together is no different than wood. Ever try to get a lone piece of wood to burn? Usually doesn't happen well. I think having a few sticks together provides the necessary air velocity between the pieces to support combustion.

If you can lay your hands on some ash, split it before any of your other woods, and stack it separately. Ash will season quicker than almost any other hardwood you're likely to find, and will be ready to burn long before the rest.

I see two things in your photos... first, you're using a Rutland thermometer, and those are notoriously inaccurate. Use something to calibrate it, make sure it's right. Second, is where you're measuring a known-good place to get a measurement? I run my stove-top thermometer at 500F - 600F when it sits on the top-load door, but if I move it to the corner (main top surface) of the stove, it only sees 200 - 300F.

The original poster has the the thermometer in about the same place that I keep mine on the Quad 2700. Inserts are kinda hard to get a decent temp reading,
but I found that the therm in that place gives a fairly accurate tool for how the fire is going. With decent wood and a more filled firebox, temps should easily
get up into the 500's. I have not run my insert a lot, but found that I needed to let the temp get at least into the 400's before starting to shut down the air
or turn on the fan. Once I got into the 500's, I was able to move the air to closed or nearly closed. I know velvetfoot ran this insert a lot so maybe he can
chip in with some input. If I recall correctly, I got my therm placement from velvetfoot or another reg. poster with this insert. Because it's such a small firebox,
overnight burns are not a practical common occurrence for this insert, even when fully loaded. If the original poster can edit this thread to include the insert model
in the subject line or alternatively start a new thread with the insert model in the subject line, more input would arrive. I nearly missed this one with all of the new wood
burners being added to the pile. :)

The original poster has the the thermometer in about the same place that I keep mine on the Quad 2700. Inserts are kinda hard to get a decent temp reading,
but I found that the therm in that place gives a fairly accurate tool for how the fire is going. With decent wood and a more filled firebox, temps should easily
get up into the 500's. I have not run my insert a lot, but found that I needed to let the temp get at least into the 400's before starting to shut down the air
or turn on the fan. Once I got into the 500's, I was able to move the air to closed or nearly closed. I know velvetfoot ran this insert a lot so maybe he can
chip in with some input. If I recall correctly, I got my therm placement from velvetfoot or another reg. poster with this insert. Because it's such a small firebox,
overnight burns are not a practical common occurrence for this insert, even when fully loaded. If the original poster can edit this thread to include the insert model
in the subject line or alternatively start a new thread with the insert model in the subject line, more input would arrive. I nearly missed this one with all of the new wood
burners being added to the pile. :)
Will do. Glad to hear from a fellow with the same setup! I am having problems and would love to hear your input. Thermo placement seemed the only option as it is an insert. I will post new as you rec and try to draw in more 2700i owners.

You're right on the north/south and east/west meanings.

The only thing I can think of, is, are they Eco Bricks or another brand? The Wood Brick Fuel we tried was not anywhere near the Eco Bricks. It needed a lot of air to burn, fell all apart into sawdust as it burned causing it to get all smoky and it never really got the heat up on the stove. It also smelled like a christmas tree when we opened the pack-not that there's anything wrong with burning pine, but it won't get the burn times of hardwood, which is what it was supposed to be. I am not sure all brands are comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.