New wood drying area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I bit off an area on one side of my yard - about 30'x11'. I put down about 3 yards of gravel, and away we go. I used to dry in racks like this behind the shed (not ideal for sun and wind), but this area is in full sun all day. It may not look like it in the pic, but there is room enough to walk in-between the stacks - a little over 2 feet between rows. I will be able to fit 8 stacks here - a little over 1/2 cord in each. The 5 cord wood shed is only steps away.

Attachments

• za1.jpg
    za1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 655
  • za2.jpg
    za2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 659
Looks good, for a minute I thought I was looking at Dexters yard.

weatherguy said:

I KNEW someone was going to say that. What is that saying? ---imitation is the highest form of flattery? Something like that. ;-)
My wife doesnt want the yard to be a disaster area - and I want to be AT LEAST 2 years ahead - in order for this to happen - it has GOT to be neat and tidy. I cant blame her - and she deserves it - she works her ASS off,too (massage therapist). AND she's pregnant. :cheese: Ive got to get ahead while I can!

wood-fan-atic said:
it has GOT to be neat and tidy

I figured you were out there with the transit getting it within a 1/4" :lol: Nice job, looks great.

Nice and neat wood stacks!! I was at Home Depot yesterday and drooled all over myself looking at the Ariens wood splitter and snowblowers.. They both looked well made..

Ray

SolarAndWood said:
wood-fan-atic said:
it has GOT to be neat and tidy

I figured you out there with transit getting it within a 1/4" :lol: Nice job, looks great.

Thanks,Solar... its all black locust from Irene....I still have about 2 1/2 more cords that need splitting - man,my back hurts.

Looks very nice!

I'm not looking to compete but I started doing the same thing.

Since I all ready loaded the rounds where I want to put the racks I have
to split then stack then build another rack then split then stack and build another rack and so on and so on.
So I cant be as fancy and get the ground level and full of gravel.

My question is I was going to leave only about 6"-8" between racks so I can get more racks.
Should I leave enough space to walk between them
I figure when I've depleted one rack I can walk through it and pull from the next rack and so on and so on.
Each rack will hold a full cord. My splits are 24" and the rack is 10'x7'

I also put a rack against the garage wall with about 6" between the wall and the splits.
Its 2'x30'x6'
That rack will hold almost 3 cord.

Any comments

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice rack style! I suggest leaving enough room to walk through and even better leave enough space to get a wood cart through (at least 2') this will allow air to circulate and allow access.. You never know if you will need to get in there and when it's all jammed together you will have no access..

Just my 2 cents..

Ray

I usually don't say this to a guy but nice rack Mike

raybonz said:
Nice rack style! I suggest leaving enough room to walk through and even better leave enough space to get a wood cart through (at least 2') this will allow air to circulate and allow access.. You never know if you will need to get in there and when it's all jammed together you will have no access..

Just my 2 cents..

Ray

BUT,BUT, BUT, then I wont have as much wood!!!

infinitymike said:
raybonz said:

Just my 2 cents..

Ray

BUT,BUT, BUT, then I wont have as much wood!!!

You have a nice rack and big BUT you will know what to do lol..

:lol:

Good Luck!

Ray

wood-fan-atic said:
I bit off an area on one side of my yard - about 30'x11'. I put down about 3 yards of gravel, and away we go. I used to dry in racks like this behind the shed (not ideal for sun and wind), but this area is in full sun all day. It may not look like it in the pic, but there is room enough to walk in-between the stacks - a little over 2 feet between rows. I will be able to fit 8 stacks here - a little over 1/2 cord in each. The 5 cord wood shed is only steps away.

Nice work, G !! Where you are on the Island, you need to be inventive !

My offer still stands, if you need to store wood that needs to be processed.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
wood-fan-atic said:

Nice work, G !! Where you are on the Island, you need to be inventive !

My offer still stands, if you need to store wood that needs to be processed.

I'm in northport.
I see "doing" is from ridge.
and I know "jataxico" is from stony brook
How about you.." fanatic"

I'm in "Americas First Suburb" ------ Good ole Levittown. No basement, no attic, no garage. Too much stuff, not enough room.

weatherguy said:

+2, when you get done with Dex please send him up north! Nice job fanatic.

zap

L-Town represent!!

Are you a Levittownian, too , James??

wood-fan-atic said:

I am, strangely enough I'm in the tree section....

James02 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I'm on Flamingo (Levittown Pky.) Howdy, neighbor! :lol:

wood-fan-atic said:
James02 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I'm on Flamingo (Levittown Pky.) Howdy, neighbor! :lol:

My buddy lived on Blackbird (I think) at one point....I thank him for exposing my to your wonderful town.

Wow... Flattery is right... Looks very familar. But remember. I seen these racks here. I "Copied" too... Go with what works... I personally think it looks AWESOME... Great job.

This is a great way to store a lot of firewood in a small area and make it look presentable.

Attachments

• 8 Racks of Firewood Full.jpg
    8 Racks of Firewood Full.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.