New wood floor: glue down or floating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm having some new wood flooring installed soon. It will go on top of a concrete slab. I can have it glued down or installed on top of a thin foam pad (called a floating floor). Wondering what people's experiences are with this floating floor install? I worry it might make the flooring have more of a padded sound and not solid like a good, solid wood floor should sound and feel.

I went through the same issues.

I opted for the floater with the styro as it was able to be installed even with minor inconsistancies in the cement levels. In 1 or 2 spaces we were even able to double the styro layer and continue on.

The styro helps insulate the floor, to a degree, as well.

That said, I love hardwood floors. I have them in the den (over the basement), love it.

Oops, almost forgot.. we really haven't noticed a differance with the sounds, etc.

I think with real hardwood flooring you're not going to notice a difference in the sound of your feet on it with or withuot the foam...now if you're putting down a laminate fake wood floor you definitely will.

I agree floating over the foam is probably a better idea, you may or may not also have to be concerned with cement outgassing tiny amounts of moisture and dust...over long periods of time it could potentially lead to damage to your wood, the foam should have a vaoprbarrier on the downside to help guard against this. The manufacturer will probably have specific recommendations.

This is a 22 year old concrete slab that currently has parquet wood tiles. sales guy says glue down is perfectly fine (no vapor barrier) as not all concrete slabs have vapor issues, and the current floor would have been ruined years ago if it did.

We're not sure if current floor is glue down or has that pad, won't know until they demo the floor. Guy says the install install is gonna cost me the same except no extra adhesive expense if we go with floating.

Manufacturer recommends either (foam or glue)

I believe using a true hardwood floor (that is 3/4" solid oak) is a no no for slabs.
using the engineered flooring is ok, which consists of a base material such as plywood with an 1/8" ply of oak (or similar species) laminated together, then glued to the slab.
It's not the pergo type it truly does look like the solid oak that I put in my old home..

just found a link

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na/home/en/us/flooring-buyers-guide-hardwood-floor.html

Status
Not open for further replies.