New wood from my old place

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Is Dumb

Jul 28, 2013
Annapolis Maryland
I rented a house in a wooded area a while back now. The neighbor still remembers me as a bit of a firewood nutjob, which is fine since that is the reason they called when the current tenant had some storm damage. The best tree on the lot (white oak) came down and took out a few lesser trees (sweetgum and pine). The owner had a tree company clean it up. Easy score for me!

This is the white oak stump, hard to believe the size of that rot hole. I haven't lived there in 6-ish years, but the tree seemed perfectly healthy back then.
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 127
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Soundchasm
Awesome! That's a great score.

Hopefully it splits up nice for you. I've got some big white oak rounds like that sitting out back that have been the hardest splitting oak I've ever had

I rented a house in a wooded area a while back now. The neighbor still remembers me as a bit of a firewood nutjob, ]

"firewood nutjob"
I Love it!

Hopefully it splits up nice for you. I've got some big white oak rounds like that sitting out back that have been the hardest splitting oak I've ever had
The white oak splits well, occasionally some stringy splits, but not unexpected or difficult. I split by hand, cuz I find it meditative and it definitely beats the gym. Various family members think I'm nuts, but then I say "you know, there's this site called hearth.com full of crazies that do the same thing..."

The oak wasn't a yard-bird loner that doesn't have to grow tall to expand. It was a pretty tall tree, and it was more vertical than horizontal, if that makes sense.

The sweet gum is a different story. I've dealt with it before, it's stringy, and doesn't smell great when splitting or burning, but it's free and plentiful. This is not the gum that is so often despised by hand-splitters, that's tupelo/black gum, different stuff, yes? I know that is a different species than what this is. Not the greatest, but not the worst.

I'm close to 4 years ahead, so the sweetgum is shoulder wood, the pine is firepit wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.