new wood furnace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

Aug 27, 2010
Southwest Ohio
So I am new to the wood burning world, but my girlfriend and I just bought a wood furnace add on to help with heating cost this(and in the future of course) winter. The stove is in very good shape but has a bit of surface rust. on the core. Looks like previous owner had some water coming down his chimney that made its way into the top of the unit.
Before I install it I would like to get it into tip top shape. I was going to wire brush it all down and spray it with "high heat" spray paint. Do you all think this is neccisary? The paint is rated to 1200 deg. F. I am thinking that is good, but am too new to know better, if its not. I just want to make sure that I take care of the unit the best I can. What do you all think? Thanks for any advise and all the good reading so far.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 407
Not nessary, That looks like its in great shape! You paint that and it will smoke and the smoke will go through the duct work. Spend your extra- time getting firewood!

It sure won't hurt it to spiff it up a bit, but the others are correct, its gonna off gas that paint. Just be aware of that.

That being said, other than cosmetically, you probably aren't really doing much for the stove. You may extend the life by a week or two. ;-)

it'll offgas but will remain black which means the pores of the steel are better sealed against oxidation which is enhanced by the fact that theres a blower involved, geniuses

BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

Just how the heck does a forced air blower config on a wood furnace enhance exterior oxidation of the top of the burn chamber? I gotta hear this one.

Jags said:
BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

Just how the heck does a forced air blower config on a wood furnace enhance exterior oxidation of the top of the burn chamber? I gotta hear this one.
oxygen is in the air & will react with iron to form FeO2 [rust] which is powdery. the blower will remove the powder & enhance O2 penetration + it pressurized the air for better penetration into the steel/iron= physics + chemistry @ work

BLIMP said:
Jags said:
BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

oxygen is in the air & will react with iron to form FeO2 [rust] which is powdery. the blower will remove the powder & enhance O2 penetration + it pressurized the air for better penetration into the steel/iron= physics + chemistry @ work

Except for the fact that the blower is a essentially a closed loop system that should not have any pressurization or air movement effect on the external parts of that stove. If it did, it is leaking air and it should be fixed.

Jags said:
BLIMP said:
Jags said:
BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

Except for the fact that the blower is a essentially a closed loop system that should not have any pressurization or air movement effect on the external parts of that stove. If it did, it is leaking air and it should be fixed.
so u think the furnace chamber aint pressurized when the blower blows?

BLIMP said:
Jags said:
BLIMP said:
Jags said:
BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

so u think the furnace chamber aint pressurized when the blower blows?

The burn chamber? I don't think so, but won't bet on it. That still has no effect on the EXTERNAL exposed parts of the stove. Painting the inside of the stove chamber is futile. The 1200F limit of the paint will be met upon the first firing, therefore the only logical part to paint would be the external rusted parts that the OP was talking about brushing and painting.
javier said:
The stove is in very good shape but has a bit of surface rust. on the core.

javier said:
So I am new to the wood burning world, but my girlfriend and I just bought a wood furnace add on to help with heating cost this(and in the future of course) winter. The stove is in very good shape but has a bit of surface rust. on the core. Looks like previous owner had some water coming down his chimney that made its way into the top of the unit.
Before I install it I would like to get it into tip top shape. I was going to wire brush it all down and spray it with "high heat" spray paint. Do you all think this is neccisary? The paint is rated to 1200 deg. F. I am thinking that is good, but am too new to know better, if its not. I just want to make sure that I take care of the unit the best I can. What do you all think? Thanks for any advise and all the good reading so far.

I think you got it right - clean off the rust with a wire brush and steel wool and put a light coat of paint on most of it. It will smell a bit the first times you burn it, but that is par for the course.

If you paint it open up all the windows and change out your filters afterwards it gets pretty smoky. Wish I would have left mine alone.

BLIMP said:
Jags said:
BLIMP said:

Thanks for noticing.

oh man, and that reminds me that I had better fix the dripping faucet in the bathroom before the constant beating erodes a trail and then hole into the porcelain.

my point is that you are right, but if that's what kills that stove I'll eat my hat.

Love this site. I think I will take a little of all your' advise and brush and paint it. It is already out in my garage, so I will just pull it into the driveway and fire it up before I pull it into the house. Hopefully alleviating all the initial smell. I don't plan on spending to much time on it, but would like to spiff it up a bit. Def. want to put more time into getting the wood, which is already going pretty well.

javier said:
Love this site. I think I will take a little of all your' advise and brush and paint it. It is already out in my garage, so I will just pull it into the driveway and fire it up before I pull it into the house. Hopefully alleviating all the initial smell. I don't plan on spending to much time on it, but would like to spiff it up a bit. Def. want to put more time into getting the wood, which is already going pretty well.
Good idea!

javier said:

Now your on it like a fat kid on a Twinkie. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.