1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New wood hauler

Post in 'The Gear' started by mudbug250, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Finally!!!! I got me a new wood hauler. 2009 Tacoma double cab 4x4 SR5. 35,000 miles, like new condition for $23k. With trade in and cash $19k out the door. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358690676.740091.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Congrats, beautiful lookin' truck there. The first scratch or dent will be the toughest to take. Enjoy it.
  3. legrandice

legrandice Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Hadley, MA
    looks great! I've got a 4Runner...perfect vehicles!
  4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Too purty fer haulin' wood. Much more suited for hauling a beautiful wife or girlfiend.
    MofoG23 and raybonz like this.
  5. Jasper 83

Jasper 83 New Member

Loc:
    Hallieford, Va
    Good deal. I am a diehard toyota fan. Ive got an 85 pickup and 85 4runner and my girlfriend has a 2004 4runner. I love all of them. I had a 2001 Tacoma when I got out of high school and that was the greatest truck ever. Also had a few more over the years since then.
    blacktail likes this.
  6. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    Nice looking ride you got there. I don't know about putting wood in it,, toooo nice,lol. We have a 2001 Toyota sienna van with 326,000 miles on it and it has never had any work other than general maintance and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere.
  7. Halligan

Halligan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Nice wood hauler. Now go haul wood and don't sweat the scratches cause it's a truck after all. I used to be super OCD with vehicles and actually found I could not enjoy them because I was worried if it was dirty or worse, I scatched it. I've eased up with the OCD cosiderably and while I still wash my truck every week or two I don't "short out" if it's dirty. My wood hauler is a 2010 Ram and it's a very nice truck but at the end of the day it's a 3/4 ton pickup meant to work.

FWIW, I did just order a headache rack to protect the back window because I know it's only a matter of time before a split hit's and smashes my window. You've been warned. ;)
  8. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    My 87 Yota wood hauler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jasper 83 and raybonz like this.
  9. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    She's a beaut Clark!
  10. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Well she has a few superficial exterior scratches. So I don't have to worry about the first scratch. Since it is used the bed is already "broke in". Plus most of the time I will be pulling wood with a 8x12 trailer.
  11. loadstarken

loadstarken Member

Loc:
    Redmond, WA
    I love this set up and I need to get sides for my truck!

Does a Tacoma have stake pockets in the bed?
  12. Jasper 83

Jasper 83 New Member

Loc:
    Hallieford, Va
    Very nice
  13. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Took the bed cover off today so I can stack it high in the back.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

How much are you getting in there? Depending on species, My Canyon (Crew cab, 5 ft bed) will take about 1/3 of a cord. That fills it to "water level" and I can usually snap the cover back on if I want. With Ash, Cherry, Maple, it will squat but drive quite nicely. With Oak it's overloaded and will be noticeably hairy to drive.
  15. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I'm also a Toyota fan. The one-owner, low-mile T100 I purchased a few months ago is my 3rd Toyota pickup. My commuter is a Toyota too.
    You can't go wrong with a Toyota. That beautiful truck will serve you for a looooong time.
    Jasper 83 likes this.
  16. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    I have not tried yet. This truck has the 6 foot bed, so I figure I could probably squeeze 1/2 cord in with tailgate down .
  17. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    But won't be getting a half a cord of hickory. That stuff is heavy.
  18. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    Mainly gonna try to pull wood in my trailers.
  19. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Weight will be the limiting factor. 1/2 cord of dry wood perhaps but fresh cut? Your gonna be way over the trucks GVWR for sure. I've done 1/2-2/3 of a cord in my 1 ton and she rode like a Cadillac. >> Wouldn't even think of trying that with the Canyon. ::P

Best stick that 1/2 cord on the trailer and let the saws, cant hook, gas, etc. ride in the bed. ;)
  20. JDC1

JDC1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Congrats on the new ride. Here's my dads 1987, he also has a 1969 fj40. I had an 01 Tacoma TRD sr5 and an 06 4runner. Awesome trucks.

Attached Files:

21. Jasper 83

Jasper 83 New Member

Loc:
    Hallieford, Va
    I wish I had an FJ40
  22. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    Nice ride!
    Do you have the towing package?
    You need a trailer now!!
    [​IMG]
    Sean
  23. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Good vehicles . . . but not perfect.

My rear differential "cover" rotted out . . . most likely due to the salt on the winter roads . . . unfortunately the fix wasn't easy since it doesn't have a rear differential cover (it's all part of the axle housing) like most vehicles that can be removed and a new one bolted in place so you have to replace the whole kit and caboodle for close to $1,300 in parts. I also found the V-6 to be seriously lacking in power.

That said . . . other than those issues I had no complaints.
  24. ^^
    Wouldnt you love to meet the engineer that came up with that design?
    My 99 f-350 is on its second differential cover. Gonna need a third sooner or later.

That is sharp looking Toyota. Been thinking about going back to one myself. But I plan to run my truck into the ground first. Its so rusted underneath that I think I should derate it to a 1/2 ton.
  25. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I figure there is always something with every vehicle that you look at or have to deal with and wonder what the engineer was thinking . . . or not thinking of . . . with a lot of the Japanese vehicles I drive it's where they locate the oil filter as some you have to be a contortionist to get to the filter . . . the same with changing some lightbulbs.