New Wood Insert Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that plywood meant to stay under the hearth and hearth extension? If so that is wrong it needs to be non combustible material under the hearth and extension

Is that plywood meant to stay under the hearth and hearth extension? If so that is wrong it needs to be non combustible material under the hearth and extension

nope, that is just stopping up the hole into my crawlspace that was created by the firemen. they will repair it to code spec's

nope, that is just stopping up the hole into my crawlspace that was created by the firemen. they will repair it to code spec's
Good i was just making sure

Do you have any idea why they recommended an 8" or 10" flue insert? What kind of chimney do you have and what are its inner dimensions?

[snippage]

Modern looking inserts: Pacific Energy Neo 2.5, Osburn Matrix, Large Flush Hybrid Insert from Travis industries (Lopi, Avalon, FireplaceXtraordinaire)

The Regency insert is extensively discussed here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/

thanks i like both the osburn and the LFH insert.

thanks i like both the osburn and the LFH insert.

I recommend a forum search to check for experiences with both units. The LFH is somewhat larger with a 3 cu ft firebox and has a catalyst which means added care about the wood you are burning.

Do you have any dry wood already?

I recommend a forum search to check for experiences with both units. The LFH is somewhat larger with a 3 cu ft firebox and has a catalyst which means added care about the wood you are burning.

Do you have any dry wood already?

nope, not a stick, i did have some but all my wood got burned during the ice storm. i guess that will lean me towards a non catalytic model.

Wet wood will not burn in a secondary burn stove either. What you cannot burn in a cat stove (and should not be burned in a secondary burn stove either) is any treated/painted wood, high-gloss paper, unapproved firestarters etc. Those will quickly kill that catalyst.

Get that wood going ASAP; you will have the entire summer to decide on and install an insert. Look for ash and softwoods as those have a chance to dry out over one summer. Split it not too thick, stack it loosely in single rows where it gets lots of sun and wind, and top-cover it.

There are many inserts out there, you need to do your homework and search....
I love my insert for the beauty of it and the fire show.... image.jpg

Here is mine Travis FPX large flush hybrid , I don't think you'll get something more contemporary with larger window for view of the fire . You say you don't wanna use it for primary heat but I need to warn you- it's very addictive . I was getting it for ambiance and supplemental heat. Ended up running it a lot . Now I'm almost sad that heating season is over. My wife says she is missing the fire already .
PS .: you can always use bio bricks or similar for the first year . I bought firewood at first , but it was not seasoned , learned it hard way , its almost impossible to buy proper firewood . With biobricks you know if something is wrong it's you , not the wood .Easier to learn how to burn properly and what to expect

image.jpg Here is the pic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.