New Wood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Feb 18, 2010
St. Louis
So, my neighbor's friend was getting rid of his rack and my neighbor said that I needed one and low and behold this appeared in my yard...
:cheese:
P7023220.jpg

P7023221.jpg

4' deep x 10'long.

Looks good. Guess they went a bit longer to account for air space between splits to make sure you have a full cord then when full?

Adkjake said:
nice neighbor, nice rack
My wife told me the same thing. I think I need to start working out.
Apparently this was catwalk for cell towers. As heavy duty as it is, it is welded together already and I did need another rack, so it fits the purpose.

You could put it up on some concrete block and let air flow through the holes drying the wood. Plus it would take longer before any rust sets in. :)

That's a nice neighbor. Get them a nice bottle of wine or some microbrews. Then rack and roll!

CJRages said:
You could put it up on some concrete block and let air flow through the holes drying the wood. Plus it would take longer before any rust sets in. :)
+1 GET IT OFF THE GROUND! :)

Hiram Maxim said:
CJRages said:

+2 Raise it up at least with some common brick or something that'll get it up a couple inches or more.

I am working right now to get it off the ground. I have some cinder blocks set up and working on getting them level. I might actually have a good looking wood pile for once.
Getting the neighbor a bottle isn't a bad idea. I might do that to. I am helping him clear his land by taking the dead trees off his land though.

Wingman, Unfortunately you shouldn't use that galvanized decking for firewood. The galvanized materials will leech into your firewood poisoning you and your family. I will gladly pick them up and re- purpose them.

gzecc said:
The galvanized materials will leech into your firewood poisoning you and your family.

Airtight stove, he'll poison someone else's family.

fossil said:
Hiram Maxim said:
CJRages said:

+2 Raise it up at least with some common brick or something that'll get it up a couple inches or more.

+3

Nice rack that will last for many, many moons, unless you decide to use it for something other than firewood. Get that neighbor a beer or two.

Only on hearth.com can we get away with saying "Nice rack" and "Nice looking wood you have there" and no one blinks an eye. ;) :)

Jake, you're going to get us into trouble yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.