New wood shed build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepmedic

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2012
Cashton, WI
Finally got around to building my new wood shed. After our first winter with no actual wood storage, I figured it was time to build one. Little did I know that when I took vacation for this past week back in Feburary...that it was going to be 100F+ degrees outside everyday !!

Total size is 9'x18', with a 7' tall entrance sloping to 6' in the rear. If I stack nicely I should be able to fit about 6 cord inside. The one side is going to remain enclosed to store kilning and my family of Fiskars mauls !

So we used to stack our wood here next to the stove on pallets and cover it with tarps...

DSCF0922.jpg

Needed to remove a small tree that was planted by the previous owner right next to the stove..

DSCF0924.jpg

Picked up all the treated wood from Menards this past weekend..the main posts are 4x4s with other wood being a combo of 2x6s and 2x8s for the roof. Bought everything in 12' lengths and it all fit in the horse trailer perfectly.

DSCF0923.jpg

Over the past three days this is what I have done in a few stages..mostly because of the 110-115 degree heat index everyday..

DSCF0938.jpg

DSCF0942.jpg

DSCF0944.jpg

DSCF0945.jpg

DSCF0949.jpg

DSCF0950.jpg

Hoping to get the front overhang finished early this week and hopefully get the metal roof and sides on the following week :)

Looks good! 100+ degree weather makes for miserable working conditions.

Looking good. I've been pretty lazy with all the hot weather. I think I'll get off this computer and go outside and do some chores I've been putting off.

Looking good. I've been pretty lazy with all the hot weather. I think I'll get off this computer and go outside and do some chores I've been putting off.

The only thing that really hot weather is good for: putting off outside chores!

Great start to a good looking shed. Dry firewood that's easy to get to makes it all worthwhile.

Thank you all very much ! The heat was tough, but taking breaks throughout the day made it bearable.

I am looking forward to not having to mess with tarps all winter from now on...will probably cut my loading time in half !

Thank you all very much ! The heat was tough, but taking breaks throughout the day made it bearable.

I am looking forward to not having to mess with tarps all winter from now on...will probably cut my loading time in half !
when you get yours done, you can come in and build mine. :p Looking good, you'll be able to rank up a big pile of splits in that shed! Keep those pics comeing as the work progresses!

Nice work. Lots of sweat used there!

you will be so glad when it is done, happy building!

You are gonna ask yourself why it took so long to build a shed. You'll love it !
Very good progress for the temps you're working in.
If yo get snow this winter, findable dry fire wood is nice. Not chasing & fighting tarps, priceless ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Just stay hydrated, and go slower than normal. Git 'er dun.
You will really like not having to deal with frozen, wet, floppy ragtag, shredding, snow covered tarps.
Should have done mine the first year.

The only thing that really hot weather is good for: putting off outside chores!

Oh I don't know about that . . . I always enjoy cleaning the pool on those really hot days. ;)

Building and then using a woodshed is best appreciated in middle of the winter during a snow storm . . .

Reactions: PapaDave
updates!

Finally got around to putting metal up on the shed and adding the front overhang. Its really coming together now. I think I am even going to put gutters on it....the wife wasnt happy with that idea since the house doesnt even have them :)

0719121949a.jpg

0719121949.jpg

0719121949b.jpg

Reactions: Nixon
Looking good jeep. One question keeps bugging me and I have hesitated asking but, why did you set the shed so far back? Why did you not have the front of the shed closer to the front of the boiler?

Great shed. Love your chimney cap, finnaly someting to keep those birds out

Looking good jeep. One question keeps bugging me and I have hesitated asking but, why did you set the shed so far back? Why did you not have the front of the shed closer to the front of the boiler?

I am at about $1000 so far. I used all treated lumber and screws. I only have the metal for the sides left to purchase, plus some rock for the floor and free pallets for stacking on.

The entrance to the shed is only about 4 feet from the stove and the stove door opens out towards the shed, so I have to walk around it anyways. I had thought about making the shed closer overall, but felt more comfortable building it a little further away :)

That shed is lookin good jeep. Nice work. How is the Jeep runnin? I still miss my old Jeep pickup. ;hm

Attachments

• DSCF0491.JPG
    DSCF0491.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: tfdchief
That shed is lookin good jeep. Nice work. How is the Jeep runnin? I still miss my old Jeep pickup. ;hm
Gasifier, Great looking old jeep. My brother has one that looks almost like yours, snow plow rack and all.

Looking great.
Closer to the woodburner than mine is. You won't have far to move the wood to the stove. Some distance between it & the stove is prudent.

rain gutters is good idea. You can control where the run off goes
I may add gutters to mine. the splash zone off the roof splashed the lower splits.

Update !

Finished the exterior today. Added gutters and a solar motion light to the inside. Just need to level out the floor and line the bottom with tarps and pallets, then it will be DONE !!!!!!! Talk about an awesome sense of accomplishment :cool:

I am thinking about running some pipe across the door on the top so I can make a storm flap that hangs down like a shower curtain out of a nice heavy canvas tarp I have.

Now comes the fun part of moving 8 cords of the stacked wood next to it inside it :)

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

Very cool Jeep, be proud of your hard work, thats one of the best Ive seen on here.

Came out nice Jeep, good idea with the solar light, beats fussing with a flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.