New wood shed built (free)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That thing is freakin awesome! Nice job. Oh yea, & welcome to the party on Hearth.com. A C

Welcome aboard Border......I've been burning for 30 years and still don't have a wood shed so you are doing well. Good job also on getting that wood supply stocked up. Great looking shed.

Great looking shed, and you can't beat the price!

Great job on an awesome shed! You will love that thing!

Shed sounds wicked rugged . . . and I like your type of thinking on the ventilation.

Being on a slight hill and in the middle of nowhere - I get wind. Wind that pushes snow drifts from one side of the yard to the other on a daily basis. If you have this type of situation, you may want to reconsider siding. That shed is awesome, but it would be one giant snow drift inside if it were located in my yard. Just something to think about.

Reactions: tfdchief
Are there any 2x4s sitting on the sills on the floor or are they all nailed to the sills? This will put all the roof weight on the nails and not transferred through the wood to the sills, right?

Is the 2x4 ridge beam and trusses going to be able to support a snow load without sagging ?
Maybe beef it up with some more support up there. Looks really good.
Add me to 'I hate you club' and I'm jealous :)

Cadillac of wood sheds Borderbows, and welcome to the Hearth. +3 on the tin roof. I have a thin metal shed and after 20yrs, still no sign of rust. Siding was mentioned above to block out wind blown precip., but I think that you would be trading off wind drying which IMO is an advantage. Also the open look is very cool :cool:

The open design vs closed design really only matters if you are drying the wood inside of the building. I (and I know many others on this site) only put wood that has already been seasoned into my wood shed. I don't need or expect much drying to happen inside the building. On another note: when stacking inside my building for storage, I stack much tighter than I would outdoors (during the drying process). If this is done with unseasoned wood even IF the sides are open, you are looking at a much longer drying process.

The plus side is if you have enough shed you COULD stack it green and allow it the proper time to dry. It will reduce the amount of times you have to touch it. Just pointing a few things out, not trying to stir.;)

You could always put a tarp up right before the snow flies to keep it out and remove the tarps later.

Impressive! ;)

Woodshed my arse....wall that baby, and I'll move in

That shed is Wicked Pissa. I have an Oslo, too, it's awesome. Be sure the wood is dry. Where in NH are you? FFJake, what does the Order of the Oslo get us? Anything good?

BTW, we have approx. 2500 SQ', 2 floors, and very low oil usage. We go thru between 3 and 4 cords a season. Granted, on the COLD nights, it has a hard time keeping up, but that is more of a function of placement than anything. Also, lining our chimney to accept the stove was by far the most costly part of getting ready to burn.....

That shed is Wicked Pissa. I have an Oslo, too, it's awesome. Be sure the wood is dry. Where in NH are you? FFJake, what does the Order of the Oslo get us? Anything good?

BTW, we have approx. 2500 SQ', 2 floors, and very low oil usage. We go thru between 3 and 4 cords a season. Granted, on the COLD nights, it has a hard time keeping up, but that is more of a function of placement than anything. Also, lining our chimney to accept the stove was by far the most costly part of getting ready to burn.....

A certificate . . . and a free Facebook membership to the Jotul Facebook site . . . we're working on a T-shirt like the Esteemed Englanders get courtesy of Brother Bart. ;)

Just completed the shed this weekend and got 4 1/2 cord in it. I also got a chance to line the chimney, build my new hearth pad, install the new Oslo and am now on my 2nd break in fire. Friggen hot as beck in here and the smell of the burn off from the stove reeks. Final break in fire tomorrow and back to normalcy for a bit. IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0218-1.jpg

Very nice craftsmanship all the way around! Now air the house out & get ready for a real fire. A C

looks mighty fine. thanks for following up with a photo of the finished project.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
I said I couldn't wait for the finished product.......Wow! That is a great looking wood shed. Great thing about this forum, you will be copied! Great job. Oh, forgot to add.......Heck of an entrance!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks good filled up Border, I think its a wise move, I think we'll see a lot more snow this winter, you'll be glad you have the shed and Ill be jealous as well :p

That be BEAUTIFUL.... Good job on both, you'll get years of enjoyment from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.