1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New wood shed built (free)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by borderbows, Jul 29, 2012.

1. borderbows

borderbows Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I'm thinking about 7 cord. Don't know how much I will need as this will be my first winter heating 24/7. Have to believe I will only use about 4-5. Will see.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. borderbows

borderbows Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Oh ya, inside dimensions are 13'5"x8'x7'6". Maybe I might even stack up to the ridge.
  3. borderbows

borderbows Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    New Hampshire.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    That thing is freakin awesome! Nice job. Oh yea, & welcome to the party on Hearth.com. A C
  5. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Welcome aboard Border......I've been burning for 30 years and still don't have a wood shed so you are doing well. Good job also on getting that wood supply stocked up. Great looking shed.
  6. bioman

bioman Burning Hunk

That shed will help keep ya warm this winter ! GOOD JOB !
  7. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    Great looking shed, and you can't beat the price!
  8. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Great job on an awesome shed! You will love that thing!
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Shed sounds wicked rugged . . . and I like your type of thinking on the ventilation.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Being on a slight hill and in the middle of nowhere - I get wind. Wind that pushes snow drifts from one side of the yard to the other on a daily basis. If you have this type of situation, you may want to reconsider siding. That shed is awesome, but it would be one giant snow drift inside if it were located in my yard. Just something to think about.
    tfdchief likes this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Are there any 2x4s sitting on the sills on the floor or are they all nailed to the sills? This will put all the roof weight on the nails and not transferred through the wood to the sills, right?
  12. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    Is the 2x4 ridge beam and trusses going to be able to support a snow load without sagging ?
    Maybe beef it up with some more support up there. Looks really good.
    Add me to 'I hate you club' and I'm jealous :)
  13. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Cadillac of wood sheds Borderbows, and welcome to the Hearth. +3 on the tin roof. I have a thin metal shed and after 20yrs, still no sign of rust. Siding was mentioned above to block out wind blown precip., but I think that you would be trading off wind drying which IMO is an advantage. Also the open look is very cool :cool:
  14. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    The open design vs closed design really only matters if you are drying the wood inside of the building. I (and I know many others on this site) only put wood that has already been seasoned into my wood shed. I don't need or expect much drying to happen inside the building. On another note: when stacking inside my building for storage, I stack much tighter than I would outdoors (during the drying process). If this is done with unseasoned wood even IF the sides are open, you are looking at a much longer drying process.

The plus side is if you have enough shed you COULD stack it green and allow it the proper time to dry. It will reduce the amount of times you have to touch it. Just pointing a few things out, not trying to stir.;)
  15. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    You could always put a tarp up right before the snow flies to keep it out and remove the tarps later.
  16. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Impressive! ;)
  17. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Woodshed my arse....wall that baby, and I'll move in
  18. clr8ter

clr8ter Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    That shed is Wicked Pissa. I have an Oslo, too, it's awesome. Be sure the wood is dry. Where in NH are you? FFJake, what does the Order of the Oslo get us? Anything good?

BTW, we have approx. 2500 SQ', 2 floors, and very low oil usage. We go thru between 3 and 4 cords a season. Granted, on the COLD nights, it has a hard time keeping up, but that is more of a function of placement than anything. Also, lining our chimney to accept the stove was by far the most costly part of getting ready to burn.....
  19. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A certificate . . . and a free Facebook membership to the Jotul Facebook site . . . we're working on a T-shirt like the Esteemed Englanders get courtesy of Brother Bart. ;)
  20. borderbows

borderbows Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Just completed the shed this weekend and got 4 1/2 cord in it. I also got a chance to line the chimney, build my new hearth pad, install the new Oslo and am now on my 2nd break in fire. Friggen hot as beck in here and the smell of the burn off from the stove reeks. Final break in fire tomorrow and back to normalcy for a bit. IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0218-1.jpg
  21. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Very nice craftsmanship all the way around! Now air the house out & get ready for a real fire. A C
  22. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    looks mighty fine. thanks for following up with a photo of the finished project.
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  23. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I said I couldn't wait for the finished product.......Wow! That is a great looking wood shed. Great thing about this forum, you will be copied! Great job. Oh, forgot to add.......Heck of an entrance!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  24. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Looks good filled up Border, I think its a wise move, I think we'll see a lot more snow this winter, you'll be glad you have the shed and Ill be jealous as well :p
  25. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    That be BEAUTIFUL.... Good job on both, you'll get years of enjoyment from them.