new wood shed, no more tarps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
My son and I had a break this week so I did something Ive been blowing smoke out my ass for 5 years. I figure I can put up about 8 cords. the nice thing about it is I can work a little bit at a time instead of waiting till fall and busting balls for a whole week. As you can see I put the first load in today. maybe a bit more on saturday. No more ugly blue tarps that drop 100 lb blocks of ice on your feet after the droops freez up. I should have some super dry wood this fall. also still got the jotul going, high 20's tommorrow morning in se mich

Attachments

• 100_0887.JPG
    100_0887.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,152
Looks great, I take it the new "porch" roof area is the new wood "shed".

Congratulations and nice job. But, I'd be worried about having lots of wood stacked up against my house, insets...snakes...whatever.

ya Im gonna have the pest dude out next week to spray. we live on a lake so pest control is a must twice a year

you know whats funny, i "built " a shed to this past weekend!!! in my head i was telling myself i would add the roof later just get the bottom and sides up
well trying to get that thing level was crazy so i ended up doing 2 platforms 10x12 and 8x12 connected. then i framed walls but used heavy duty lattice and vinyl lattice (the pretty stuff where the neighbors could see) but when i was done i realized i had 8' walls!!! i built it right next to my dying shed as that will soon be replaced....by the time i put a roof on it might look like a skyscraper in my backyard!!! wife was laughing saying all that to store wood!!

IK said:
Not bad at all.

One thing though, where are your gutters?

there comming. the green trim had to be ordered, cant put the gutters on till that stuffs installed.

Looks nice, but why notch those roof rafters, instead of lowering the beam and setting the rafters on top?
With ice in that gutter when you get it on & a snow load on that roof, there ain't much on those rafters to hold much of a load.
I would keep an eye on them to check for sag in time.

Hogwildz said:
Looks nice, but why notch those roof rafters, instead of lowering the beam and setting the rafters on top?
With ice in that gutter when you get it on & a snow load on that roof, there ain't much on those rafters to hold much of a load.

hell I dont know, Iam a stupid electrical contractor, not a builder. I do know i have more area sitting on top of the header with the knotches than just setting them on top. also i wanted to keep as close to the original pitch and have as much head room as I could. make sense?

Hanko said:
Hogwildz said:

hell I dont know, Iam a stupid electrical contractor, not a builder. I do know i have more area sitting on top of the header with the knotches than just setting them on top. also i wanted to keep as close to the original pitch and have as much head room as I could. make sense?

I just took a look at what you were talkinjg about. I wanted 7 ft of head room. If I set the 2X6 on top of the header with no knotch I would have decreased my pitch, correct? thats why.

Looks good either way, like a natural continuation of the house. But as with others, I can't help but be concerned about bugs, ants and what not comming outta the wood so close to the house.....................

WoodMann said:
Looks good either way, like a natural continuation of the house. But as with others, I can't help but be concerned about bugs, ants and what not comming outta the wood so close to the house.....................

I think it looks good. Construction techniques and bug infestation aside, should that much combustible material be stacked on an outside wall to home? I might be calling the kettle black as my woodpile is stored directly under the masonry that leads to my front entrance and against my garage.

Way to go; I have to build a wood shed myself. You'd think I would have by now. (30 years in)

Hanko said:
ya Im gonna have the pest dude out next week to spray. we live on a lake so pest control is a must twice a year

What kind of pests? I never thought of waterfront property being any worse in that respect. So far our biggest problem is mice, which is due to the woods not the lake.

Looks like this will be much better than a tarp. I don't like the idea of having the wood stacked next to the house but whatever works for you. It only took me one year of wood burning to know I needed a woodshed. It has been standing for 30 years now and is attached to an outbuilding about 150 feet from the house. A wheelbarrow does the job of getting it to the house in the winter. I store a few days worth on the outside porch only bringing it in as I put it in the stove.

Looks good but no way in heck I am stacking wood against my house - or near it.

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
Looks good but no way in heck I am stacking wood against my house - or near it.

Yes, just asking for an invite for uninvited guests. Even this far north I would never chance that!!

I'm gonna break down and build something to stack wood under the porch. But planning to bring/ stack the wood after it's seasoned. I'l prolly invest in some ant/ insect repellant from Wally World as well...................

Status
Not open for further replies.