New Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SNOWDAWG

Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
Been a while since I have been on. Just finished this.
Holds a ton of Wood. Will post another pic, with the two end bays filled

upload_2015-8-31_13-44-44.jpeg

upload_2015-8-31_13-45-23.png

Extremely nice - love the cedar color

I did one very similar with raised floor (call it my "drying rack"). Must admit yours looks stunning with the stain and framing features!

Wow. Aside from the lack of blocks, framed floor, walls, beams, and a roof, mine looks just like that ;lol

Very nice. I'd almost want to put a small stove in the corner and sleep out there. Or at least sit a couple chairs in there and christen it with a few cold ones before loading it up.

Why so small? you must burn more than a 1/2 cord.

Nicely done...!!!

Sweeeet !!

I have been lurking around here for a while. Finally decided to join. Nice woodshed!

I have one similar that I built last year finally. It holds 4.2 full cords. Couple of things I would have done different.

1. Used 2x10 for joists. in my shed i only used 2x8s . There is a 10 foot span... so there is a bit of sag this year with the Beech and Elm i put in there.

2. Used a triple beam instead of double beam.

How did you construct yours? did you use joist hangers in joists?

Looks really nice though... im jealous of the stain.

I have been lurking around here for a while. Finally decided to join. Nice woodshed!

I have one similar that I built last year finally. It holds 4.2 full cords. Couple of things I would have done different.

1. Used 2x10 for joists. in my shed i only used 2x8s . There is a 10 foot span... so there is a bit of sag this year with the Beech and Elm i put in there.

2. Used a triple beam instead of double beam.

How did you construct yours? did you use joist hangers in joists?

Looks really nice though... im jealous of the stain.

I used 2X6's doubled with hangers between each post and the same in the middle to aid with support, You cannot see the piers in the Pic.
2X6 joists 6" centered due to the load, framing nails used to attach to each double 2x6, very little sagging in any.
I did have one hanger blow out when loading the 8"x8" Oak Blocks. Needed to Jack up the bottom and added additional 2x6's behind the 6x6 post, ledgerlocks into the 6x6 post, also resting on the concrete piers.
Here is a Pic loaded.

upload_2015-9-2_5-57-44.png

Reactions: dafattkidd
Been a while since I have been on. Just finished this.
Holds a ton of Wood. Will post another pic, with the two end bays filled

View attachment 161072

View attachment 161073
Nice looking shed, I love the cedar look. I'm curious, do you have plans or thought about putting any access steps or a ramp to the deck height in one or more of the bays?

Looks great!

Nice looking shed, I love the cedar look. I'm curious, do you have plans or thought about putting any access steps or a ramp to the deck height in one or more of the bays?

Morning, am planning on adding a ramp up to the right bay and stairs on the left bay.

This will need to be at a later date, due to an unexpected surprise. Our entire septic system needed to be replaced.
The County we live in requires an advanced septic system. Pretty much have a sewer treatment plant installed.

The ramps and stairs are currently on hold

Morning, am planning on adding a ramp up to the right bay and stairs on the left bay.

This will need to be at a later date, due to an unexpected surprise. Our entire septic system needed to be replaced.
The County we live in requires an advanced septic system. Pretty much have a sewer treatment plant installed.

The ramps and stairs are currently on hold
When you get to that, post some more pics! I'd love to steal some ideas for my shed, cause I'm still not sure what I want for mine which has a similar raised deck.

Excellent!

Nice shed! looks kinda like a 3 person sauna. Very cool

Great shed! This might be bad etiquette, but do you mind if I ask how much it cost you to build that?

Great shed! This might be bad etiquette, but do you mind if I ask how much it cost you to build that?

No problem asking this. The total build was just under $2000, took me 3 weekends to finish due to quite a few rain delays.
After the piers were poured and waiting the the concrete to dry, I cut most of the posts and 2 x's so the rest would go quickly.
At least that was the plan.
Have a good burning season all.

Yes, that seems too good to throw a bunch of dirty wood in. Were you ever tempted to "repurpose" it for a seasonal deck, or other less practical use?

Yes, that seems too good to throw a bunch of dirty wood in. Were you ever tempted to "repurpose" it for a seasonal deck, or other less practical use?
Morning, neighbors wanted to use this for local music and films HA HA. I did a large covered deck of the back of the house the year before so no other thoughts other than a wood shed. Unless the wife kicks me out, then I would move in.