New Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrate Dave

Feb 20, 2013
Connecticut
I've been looking to build a woodshed for some time now, but have been taking Harry Callahan's advice ("A man's got to know his limitations.") and waiting for my friend to have a free day to supervise and make sure I don't make a mess/waste money. Got all this done on Sunday, just need to shingle the roof and fill 'er up!

IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2212.JPG

Nice work.
I see your furnace exhaust pipe quite close. Snow build up might be an issue and moist steam blowing on your firewood.....

Reactions: Pyrate Dave
Nice work.
I see your furnace exhaust pipe quite close. Snow build up might be an issue and moist steam blowing on your firewood.....

Thank you. The furnace exhaust and intake are something I will be keeping an eye on throughout the winter.

I notice in one pick the exhaust is facing down and away from the shed but in the final pic it is now aiming right at it? Mine has a T in it that makes the air go straight up and down, might be a good solution for you.

Nice Shed.

Just put an extension about 3' on it and forget about it.

Easier to just send my five year old twins out with their shovels and let them go to town.

I notice in one pick the exhaust is facing down and away from the shed but in the final pic it is now aiming right at it? Mine has a T in it that makes the air go straight up and down, might be a good solution for you.

Nice Shed.

There are two pvc pipes coming out of the house; one is the intake for the furnace (I believe it's the one facing down) and the other is the exhaust for the furnace. The furnace burns propane and is two years old, so it's fairly efficient.

I see furnace intake always faces down for some reason. These need to be clear of snow at all times.

I see furnace intake always faces down for some reason. These need to be clear of snow at all times.
Probably to keep rain out.

The exhaust slopes down from the furnace to the vent (or is is on a pump) so there is no need to worry about it.

You may want a screen on the intake if you don't already. I had the same setup, and a 5 year old boy, and an apple tree near by. 'Honey, are you burning a scented candle?'

Another thing, I have a rolling deck cart about half that size and the first winter blowing snow got in during a storm. So I filled in the sides and built a matching front cover I can put on and remove easily. Where two outside walls meet is a magnet for blowing snow.

Is this for seasoning or for on deck wood.

You may want a screen on the intake if you don't already. I had the same setup, and a 5 year old boy, and an apple tree near by. 'Honey, are you burning a scented candle?'

Thanks for the heads up. I checked, and both PVC pipes have screens at the end.

Another thing, I have a rolling deck cart about half that size and the first winter blowing snow got in during a storm. So I filled in the sides and built a matching front cover I can put on and remove easily. Where two outside walls meet is a magnet for blowing snow.

Is this for seasoning or for on deck wood.

This is for seasoned wood. It's close to both the garage and back doors, so it will be easier to bring in firewood.

This is for seasoned wood. It's close to both the garage and back doors, so it will be easier to bring in firewood.

Then you don't want blowing snow getting on the face and between the splits. Especially since you'll need that wood after a storm.

Then you don't want blowing snow getting on the face and between the splits. Especially since you'll need that wood after a storm.
Thank you for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.