New wood stove creaking/popping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTWoodburner

Jun 26, 2013
Vermont
Greetings wood burners,

I recently installed a new Jotul F600 Firelight in my home. I have a question about cracking and popping sounds coming from the stove during heating up and cooling down. It cracks and pops quite a bit during any version of heating up, including stove start up, and also if I add more wood or open up the air flow a bit. Once it stabilizes temp, the creaking/popping stops. It seems like I am dealing with some expansion and contraction of the metal, but the creaking and popping is much, much more than I have had with any previous stove. As such, I am wondering if this is an issue or not.

I did the standard successively larger break in burns as suggested by Jotul. I have had wood stoves all my life (all cast iron like the Jotul), and have never had so much creaking and popping.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Anton

All of my cast stoves have done this, it's normal.

My T5 makes a lot of noise as well. It's got the cast iron cladding.

Fairly normal . . . at least with the F-600's smaller sibling -- the Oslo. My wife says it is the "sound of heat."

I do remember however that some folks who have thought it was especially loud have been advised in the past to check to see if the stove is level or not on the hearth as this could be a possible reason for an especially loud stove.

I installed my Jotul F600 last February and can attest to the fact the F600 is one talkative stove! During the heat up cycle is when the clanking and creaking is most noticeable. Once it gets heated up I don't notice many sounds emanating from the big boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.