New Wood Stove Insert (cannot heat basement past 70) Enerzone Destination 2.3i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at other posts in the thread, I don't think just adding a fan or two is going to solve the problem for you by itself. And BTW small fans (the right ones) are often quieter than the blower on a stove), the ones I use are -- big box fans can be noisy, but efficient small table fans are often pretty quiet especially when run on low just to move the air.

But am still questioning whether you're getting it as hot as possible. You talk about lots of hot coals, and coals are at the latter (cooler) stages of the burn, or used to light off the wood in a new fire. If and when you've determined that a really large fire with a fully loaded firebox still can't get the heat you want then, you probably need something larger. If the dealer made the recommendation of the Enerzone unit based on the size of your house, etc., and you relied on his recommendation, you might have some recourse (at least in a moral sense if he's a decent guy) to go back to him and have him try to make things right for you. Worth a try anyway. And he might have some ideas himself as to what you can do.

My situation was the first year I was afraid to really fill up the firebox and get it real hot. There were all these warning about over firing. But eventually I realized that the only way to get the house warm was to keep the stove in the 500::F + range or even higher if possible for a few hours. You need to know the temp of the stove either with a magnetic thermometer or an IR gun and see how hot your getting it and how long you can keep it there. That's my experience fwiw, anyway.

I agree with Dave A. THe room the stove is in should be driving you out. Your saying that you cant even raise the room temp 5 Deg? That stove just aint puttin out any heat.

Sounds more like the stove is heating the outdoors. Put some insulation behind it to isolate it from the masonry as a first step. Put in a proper block-off plate and make sure there are no gaps around the liner at the block off plate. Try that for a bit before changing the fans.

Reactions: FyreBug
Sounds more like the stove is heating the outdoors. Put some insulation behind it to isolate it from the masonry as a first step. Put in a proper block-off plate and make sure there are no gaps around the liner at the block off plate. Try that for a bit before changing the fans.
If he cant even raise the interior temp more than 5 Deg ,he needs more drastic measures. I think id go for a good EPA free standing stove.IF that 2.3 satands for interior firebox cap. the stove is too small for starters.I know he laid out a lot of dough already but i be surprised to see that situation getting much better.

Nice discussion. The chimney guy's view is worth something, because he's been right there. From way over here, my take is that the room has a lot of heat loss, although it's mind boggling that it would only go up five degrees. I would first turn to the dealer who sold you the stove. If the stove is not installed right (for adequate heating) or is poorly manufactured, that's on him. You paid $3000-5000 not for a hunk of metal, but a nice way of getting good comfort, and an ideal install.

As for heat loss, that's on the homeowner, though I would hope an installer would say something if he thought your room would lose a lot of the heat.

I have the montpelier, it is only a medium insert, I have been experimenting and experimenting, wood, time, temperature indoors and outdoors, type of load, etc. I've recently been burning atleast 7 year old splits along with my dry wood. In a. Nutshell, you are not burning highly seasoned wood and enough wood. And burning them long enough. That needs to be the recipe to get heat out. You are under firing, just seeing a roaring fire is not enough, you must stoke the insert until you hear pings. I went from 68 to 76 tonite, without the fan on in about an hour and a half. You need to try to over fire the box... That's what I did to achieve nice heat in the room. I'm just sayin, that's all.... Also when stoked, I opened the door and heat rushed out to help heat the room up. These are only suggestions and things I have tried that have helped the same things we are both going through

Just took a look at your video of your blower. I know a lot of people say the fans aren't that important. But I had to replace my previous insert because the fans broke and I couldn't get replacements. I have a 150 year old house without insulation and an insert without blowers was useless. Today it's 42 degrees outside, my stove is running just under 250 degrees, and my thermometer is on the outside wall 15 feet away and reads 75 degrees. The other side of my center hall plan house is comfortable too although I don't have a thermometer there to tell you what the temp is. When it's really cold outside (-20) I run an old stove in the other half of the house (because there's a hallway with 2 walls separating it from the room with the insert) and I have a large floor model fan behind that stove. I can tell you from experience that the fan makes a big difference.

You need to try to over fire the box... That's what I did to achieve nice heat in the room. I'm just sayin, that's all...

Intentionally over firing the unit is not recommended. It poses a safety issue along with the potential of ruining a perfectly good heater. Operate the unit as it was intended. Don't try to make it do something it can't.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Intentionally over firing the unit is not recommended. It poses a safety issue along with the potential of ruining a perfectly good heater. Operate the unit as it was intended. Don't try to make it do something it can't.
That was meant because I always under fire the box. By me stating to try and over fire, I actually meant to bring to proper heating temperature to achieve the temperature he wanted. In other words, I didn't think he was heating hot enough, just like I wasn't. Till I tried to over heat and then finally achieving great results... Sorry or the confusion

Does anyone know what the difference in BTU output is between an insert and the same model /size free standing stove. Plus what you can actually use as in BTUs into the room. Id bet its considerable.

That was meant because I always under fire the box. By me stating to try and over fire, I actually meant to bring to proper heating temperature to achieve the temperature he wanted. In other words, I didn't think he was heating hot enough, just like I wasn't. Till I tried to over heat and then finally achieving great results... Sorry or the confusion

Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.