New wood stove material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
A new alloy with unique properties can convert heat directly into electricity, according to researchers at the University of Minnesota. The alloy, a multiferroic composite of nickel, cobalt, manganese and tin, can be either non-magnetic and highly magnetic, depending on its temperature.

Multiferroic materials possess both magnetism and ferroelectricity, or a permanent electric polarization. Materials with both of these properties are very rare; check out this explainer from the National Institute of Standards and Technology if you're interested in the electron orbital arrangements that cause these phenomena.

In this case, the new alloy — Ni45Co5Mn40Sn10 — undergoes a reversible phase transformation, in which one type of solid turns into another type of solid when the temperature changes, according to a news release from the University of Minnesota. Specifically, the alloy goes from being non-magnetic to highly magnetized. The temperature only needs to be raised a small amount for this to happen.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-06/new-alloy-can-convert-heat-directly-electricity

Reactions: semipro
Oh boy, I can see the Blaze King fanbois now...

I can power a light bulb for 3 days on a single load!

I can see the lawyers of the future figuring out how to phrase the caveat - Keep the house robot away from the stove!

Seeing that only a slight temperature change is needed this material may be good for heating ducts.

Metal roofing?

I can see the lawyers of the future figuring out how to phrase the caveat - Keep the house robot away from the stove!

I don't like these robots :/ I like technology moving forward but there is just something about these robots that really really gives me the eebie jeebies.

sorry Sir Dune, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.