New Wood stove problems with Carbon Monxide and damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2009

Jan 6, 2009
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,
I am very new to using a wood stove; this is my first post. Great website and very helpful! I am having some issues with my stove and I was hoping for some advice and help.

I purchase a new woodstove this past October (Hampton H300) from a local dealer. Every since we purchase it we been having some problems.

1. I have to keep the damper fully opened or the carbon monoxide dectors goes off
2. Even with the damper fully open (burns great during the day and evening ) but through the night when I wake up it has a reading on the CO (it does not go off, just a reading of 48ppm)

(This does not happen everyday, but every other day)
When I wake up around 6:30a.m. The carbon monoxide detector reads 48 ppm on the digital read out. I open all the doors and windows for 5 minutes and it read 0 ppm. I open the stove and a couple hot coals are in but manly grey ash. I empty the stove out complete and take the ashes and hot coals out side. I am afraid to run during the day during the workweek. (We have pets and I do not want anything to happen to them) Then when I get home from work about 5:30p.m. I fire the stove back up. (During the weekend I run both Saturday and Sunday all day and no problems during the day)

I installed a fresh air kit as recommended by the dealer. It really does not seam to be any different. I had the dealer come over and check everything out and said everything seams fine

1957 Ranch house
1200 S.F.
Oil furnace
Hampton H300 wood stove w/ fan in basement
New windows in basement
Original old windows on main floor of house
Burning: Ash, Oak and Cherry

Attached are some photos

The Oil furnace is being cleaned next week, I am not sure if that could be the problem

The damper on the oil furnace seams to be open a lot. Could this be causing the problem?

Any adivice or help would be great.
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• wood 002 (Small).jpg
    wood 002 (Small).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 221
  • wood 003 (Small).jpg
    wood 003 (Small).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 227
  • wood 009 (Small).jpg
    wood 009 (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 228
Maybe someone with more knowledge of oil furnace will be along shortly, but I can't see why that damper would be open at all. This is the flue for the oil furnace, right? (I really don't even know why it would be there to begin with). Additionally, if both appliances are in the same room / area of the house, you may have some pressure balance issues. You mentioned a fresh air kit (for the stove?) so that should help a lot. Also, anything in the basement which exhausts air may be making the problem worse...vent fans, clothes dryer, etc - can all pull air from the basement and blow it outside...and cause the flue to reverse flow. But my main thought would be close (and seal) that oil damper. Wait and see what the oil guru's say.

Status
Not open for further replies.