New wood stove user: air circulation and chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laruniper

Oct 8, 2018
NL
How's it going everyone, great forum!

I have a brand new Model# DB03081 Drolet stove in the basement of my 1250sq/ft (with full basement, 1250 each floor) bungalow. It's a high efficiency home with R24 walls up and downstairs, and R60 attic. It keeps the heat amazingly well, but I'm looking at possibly using my 150cfm HRV to circulate air.

Here is a diagram of my exposed ducting in the basement.
eArj7Ea.png
I'd love to try use the HRV to circulate air from the stove to the house. My main concern is losing heat to the outside, maybe someone with better knowledge of HRV's can chime in. It's very easy for me to add an inside air exhuast above the stove (air sucker, same as kitchen/bathrooms) but just wondering if anyone else has done they same.

My second question is regarding chimney sounds. When the wind is coming north the chimney seems to vibrate sometimes, it's kind of annoying. Is there anyway I can look at reducing this? My chimney has a basic cap and rises a good 3 feet above my peak. Here's a pic:

UGHbmFR.jpg

Thanks for any ideas!!

Last edited:
In terms of using the hrv directly,,,, I'm clueless. Other than to say with that house, with that stove, you should be able to heat the place well, and will simply have to play around with what it takes to move heat or cold air, to keep things comfortable.

As far as the chimney, next time it starts singing to you, I suggest taking the cap off and see what happens. Maybe a different cap design will help. If it's the whole chimney vibrating, maybe a tie between the roof braces would reduce the wiggle?

Just thoughts.

pen

It's very easy for me to add an inside air exhuast above the stove (air sucker, same as kitchen/bathrooms) but just wondering if anyone else has done they same.

Not to code and your insurance probably won't permit it.

In terms of using the hrv directly,,,, I'm clueless. Other than to say with that house, with that stove, you should be able to heat the place well, and will simply have to play around with what it takes to move heat or cold air, to keep things comfortable.

As far as the chimney, next time it starts singing to you, I suggest taking the cap off and see what happens. Maybe a different cap design will help. If it's the whole chimney vibrating, maybe a tie between the roof braces would reduce the wiggle?

Just thoughts.

pen

I’ll try removing the chimney cap and see. The directional type that work like a weathervane look interesting. I just can’t see how they’d last but seems to be poeple on both sides of that.

Not to code and your insurance probably won't permit it.

Even for adding HRV vents? I thought it was just cutting holes in the floor for circulation that caused those issues. What code compliant options are there?

The HRV can pick up stove room air as long as the air intakes for the HRV are >10ft from the stove.