New wood stove user - question about seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgsccr

Aug 29, 2008
Seattle
I was offered a cord of wood by a supplier - choice of fir, white pine, hemlock or maple - from trees that have been down for a year but only split in the last month. Am I correct that none of this wood is a good choice for immediate burning?

The softer woods (pine & fir) should be ready to burn by november. The harder woods might be burnable if it is
split into smaller diameter but it also depends on how much sun and wind exposure you give it.

Am I correct that moisture content is the key? I spoke to another fellow who has wood that has been split for at least six months - fir, maple, alder. He said that most of it is below 20% moisture content. Would this wood be burnable now? Thanks.

If he is accurately measuring it, then yes at 20% it would be ready to burn. The best way to tell is to lift up several good sized splits while they are still on his truck. If they feel about the same weight, and not like lead, that's a good sign. Split a couple of the bigger pieces in half. If they are not damp inside, the wood is probably fine. Also, try to avoid delivery of giant splits that are all 8-9 inches wide unless you have a huge stove. Otherwise, you may end up resplitting a lot of that wood before you can burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.