New wood stove with 10-inch flue pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Anthony619

Nov 17, 2022
San Diego
I have a horribly inefficient Franklin stove and would like to replace it. It has a 10" flue pipe, though, and I'm not seeing many new stoves that have the same diameter(they're mostly 6-8").

What are my options that are the most "plug-and-play"?

It sounds like the franklin is connected to an older-style chimney system. This will not work with a new stove. It is both too large and also of the wrong temperature rating for a wood stove. Most modern stoves are 6". A complete replacement will be required.

Was afraid of that... Included images for reference.
89FBC2A0-3207-498C-A9FE-D1E70CE20FC8.jpeg FE85993D-7CBB-4DB5-BAC1-9E785F524FB0.jpeg

Below. Right above the damper. I can check the roof later but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

If I need to do a complete replacement, how would I how about filling the gap between the roof and a smaller flue pipe?
If it is actually all 10" id pipe yes it will all need replaced. As far as patching the gap you will just frame in to support the smaller support box then finish how ever makes sense visually. The roof you could just extend the flashing base with stainless if patching in the roof doesn't make sense

Someone chime in if I'm offering up some bad advice here, but I have a situation where I plan to reduce my chimney size as well, and this is what I plan to do.
I had an 8" run that I've determined is simply not working for my stove. I need 6". So I'm running 6" to my ceiling. For the 8" tripple wall that continues on up through the attic and through the roof I'm going to run 6" single wall all the way down until it rests on the 6 to 8 adaptor at the ceiling. To center the single wall so its not touching the triple wall attach springs to the triple wall at the top so that its putting even pressure on the 6" single wall.
I should thing this operation may work even better going from 10 to 6. Safer too as it creates an even larger gap between the two stove pipes.