New Wood Toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kork

Nov 25, 2008
Southern NJ
Well I received my "brand new" "heavy duty"" professional" log splitter today. OK it's really just an electric 6 ton from Northern Tools. It's the one like the Mantis except it has a foot switch. So tonight when I get home from work I'll throw a few rounds through it and see if it was worth the $299.00. Maybe in a few yrs I'll be able to buy a big boy splitter, but for now it's out of the question. Even looking at used one on CL they were out of my league. I'll post my review after about a cord or so.
Hank

Used it yet ?

I'm kicking around getting one of these...or maybe the Ryobi from Home Depot. Splitting larger pine rounds can be a real bear. I typed in "electric log splitter" on youtube awhile back and saw some pretty impressive videos.

We're kicking around the idea of getting a small stove in CT. If that happens, the splitter would be pretty easy to transport between the two houses.

Skier76 said:
If that happens, the splitter would be pretty easy to transport between the two houses.

The 12 ton electric Ramsplitter is 3x the money but would transport easily and still works on a standard circuit.

So far I've only split about 4 rounds of fresh Oak about 12"-13" dia. Pretty staight logs split pretty easily. I have a few more that are alittle more narley so this weekend I'll give a go at them. So far though it seems worth the $$.
Hank

what length and diam is it and how long is the cycle time? Speed is my main concern.
I've thought of getting one for resplits at the house. The gas machine is stored away from my house and not conveneient for small scores of storm wood that I get occasionally.

I was surprised at the cycle rate, I'd say about 6-8 splitting and probably about the same on return. This one splits almost vertically so I think the ram returns a little faster than a horizontal one that relies only on the springs. Check out the detailes at Northern Tools, it was on sale for 299.00 reg 399.00.
Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.