new wood toys for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Finally picked up an ATV about a month ago. Thing is clean, 2008 4x4 Honda Rancher 420 with 700 miles on it. Plan on using it mostly around the house for moving firewood, possibly plowing the driveway with it. But there is a decent network of ATV trails near me I may also explore as well. The Rancher seems like a good crossover (utility/sport) ATV.
IMG_20160326_090747924 (Large).jpg

I also picked up this little wood trailer yesterday. Well built custom made aluminum trailer that dumps - 160$. I plan on building higher extensions for it to increase its carrying capacity.
Snapchat-4029917537328660299 (Large).jpg

I have an 05 Rincon 650 that I don't use often, but it gets used hard when I do. It has served me well. Hope yours treats you well also

Reactions: ColdNH
The Rancher and its forerunner -- the TRX -- are reknown for being tough (I would say little -- but the Rancher is now nearly the same size and cc engine as my older Foreman) ATVs that will go and go and go . . .

Great working ATVs with a relatively low center of gravity and super low end 1st gear for hauling. Plowing snow should present no real challenge to it . . . only caveat being that when you plow with an ATV a) it takes a bit longer than with a plow truck and b) you learn to push the snow banks way, way back since once the snowbanks firm up the ATV will not be able to push them back any further. In a year like this one with little snow, it's a non-issue . . . a year like last year however and unless you've pushed the snow way back you will soon find yourself running out of places to put the snow.

Not sure about your machine, but newer Ranchers have the Independent Rear Suspension which offers quite a nicer ride on trails than the solid rear axle. That said, I've been riding ATVs with solid rear axles for all of my life on trails with no real issues.

Reactions: ColdNH
Ive got a Polaris in the garage i have not used for several months. Mostly using the Explorer for scroungin..........LOL

Great working ATVs with a relatively low center of gravity and super low end 1st gear for hauling. Plowing snow should present no real challenge to it . . . only caveat being that when you plow with an ATV a) it takes a bit longer than with a plow truck and b) you learn to push the snow banks way, way back since once the snowbanks firm up the ATV will not be able to push them back any further. In a year like this one with little snow, it's a non-issue . . . a year like last year however and unless you've pushed the snow way back you will soon find yourself running out of places to put the snow.

Not sure about your machine, but newer Ranchers have the Independent Rear Suspension which offers quite a nicer ride on trails than the solid rear axle.
100% agree. That's a problem I had when we got the 28" in one storm. Good thing we didn't get another big one soon after

I have owned all brands of atvs, I have found honda's the least problematic. You really have to work at it to kill one. A lot of the other brands have them beat in ride comfort and features, but for a dead reliable work atv I wouldn't buy anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.