New woodpile for next year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Been busy as a beaver splitting and stacking wood from my front yard.. This is for next years burning and is mostly oak and a few pines (sacrificed by the oak dropping) that were cut in the front of my property..All this wood was split by my Task Force 5-Ton Log Splitter! The pine probably amounted to 5% of my wood.. I am not a big pine burner by any stretch but I thought I could mix it in with the oak..

Ray

Attachments

• woodpile01.jpg
    woodpile01.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 806
  • woodpile03.jpg
    woodpile03.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 776
  • woodpile02.jpg
    woodpile02.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 791
full sun and wind nice

raybonz said:
Been busy as a beaver splitting and stacking wood from my front yard.. This is for next years burning and is mostly oak and a few pines (sacrificed by the oak dropping) that were cut in the front of my property..All this wood was split by my Task Force 5-Ton Log Splitter! The pine probably amounted to 5% of my wood.. I am not a big pine burner by any stretch but I thought I could mix it in with the oak..

Ray

Looks great.

Zap

smokinjay said:
full sun and wind nice

Thanx! Yes full sun and wind and in one of the pics you can see my woodshelter for this years wood.. The maroon you see is the cranberry bogs that surround me...

Ray

Looks like you're in good shape. I thought that was a cranberry bog and when I seen that you're from Carver I knew that it was.

CTburns said:
Looks like you're in good shape. I thought that was a cranberry bog and when I seen that you're from Carver I knew that it was.
I figured that too but I was also thinking West Wareham.

CTburns said:

Surrounded by bogs on 3 sides of my property.. Hoping now that I have a splitter to get more free firewood!

Ray

ConiferJoe said:
CTburns said:
I figured that too but I was also thinking West Wareham.

Carver was once the cranberry capital of the world but has been dethroned by Wisconsin.. Wareham is next town over and also a big cranberry grower..

Ray

Good work Ray. You don't have to go far for your berries either!

Backwoods Savage said:
Good work Ray. You don't have to go far for your berries either!

Lol thanx funny thing I never bother with the berries though I am surrounded by them! BTW how ya been Dennis? Weather has been mild this Nov. so far and hopefully will continue for a while...

Ray

Ray, I just got in from hunting. It was 52 degrees when I went out this morning. Unreal. On Saturday we hit 65 degrees. Flint set a new record with 66. I predict the locker plants will be full of venison tomorrow as they best get them in the cooler.

Yes, most of November has been mild. It looks by the long range forecast that sometime next week things should change back to normal or close to it.

Glad to see you are still working on the wood. We'll get started pretty soon.

nice bog!!!

Stevebass4 said:

Yes they are Steve.. My neighbors take good care of them so they look good year round...

Ray

CTburns said:
raybonz said:
Stevebass4 said:

Yes they are Steve.. My neighbors take good care of them so they look good year round...

Ray

That always makes for the best view, doesn't it!

Yup it sure does... Best of all I don't have to mow it! I am lucky to have good neighbors that go out of their way to keep me happy.. Been here over 20 yrs. and that bog in the pic was all woods when I built here so the view was better then.. All things considered things could be worse..

Ray

Really nice, Ray. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have such large trees like that to deal with!

All this wood was split by my Task Force 5-Ton Log Splitter!

I thought 'real men' won't come near an electric? :)

precaud said:
Really nice, Ray. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have such large trees like that to deal with!

All this wood was split by my Task Force 5-Ton Log Splitter!

I thought 'real men' won't come near an electric? :)

Yes we're fortunate to have an abundance of hardwoods around here.. Oh and 'real frugal men' use electric splitters! LOL Gas isn't an option for a occasional user like me.. Took me a while to justify spending $251.00 for this splitter however it has already pretty much paid for itself.. My hope is I will come into more free firewood and have the tools to deal with it.. This summer I passed on several large oak trees because I didn't have the splitter... Around here people let pine rot on the ground... Just how it is here...

Ray

Great pics!

Looks great!!...I for the first time have gotten ahead this year..feels good!

There's a few homeowners around the campgrounds there that sell campfire pine.At the curb.
Honesty system, put $5 in a box with a slot and take an armload.

One or two people do that with eggs here (except in August, maybe)
Take a dozen from box A, put some money in box B. Honor system.

Guess it works. Probably hard to tell if there's a camera nearby. :)

firefighterjake said:
Great pics!

Thanx Jake it was foggy here yesterday so the pics are rather surreal in nature.. Today is bright and sunny so I cut off another chunk off the oak stump and it measures 2' diameter at the base.. That one chunk is enough to heat my house for a day! Cleaned up more damaged white pines caused by dropping the oak and split those up too.. The pine will make good fire starters plus good for camping too...

Ray

billb3 said:
There's a few homeowners around the campgrounds there that sell campfire pine.At the curb.
Honesty system, put $5 in a box with a slot and take an armload.

One or two people do that with eggs here (except in August, maybe)
Take a dozen from box A, put some money in box B. Honor system.

Guess it works. Probably hard to tell if there's a camera nearby. :)

Bill you can make a killing selling pine here (Miles Standish State Park is nearby) because nobody wants it but campers will pay for it and it is free around here.. Absolutely no demand for pine.. White pines grown like weeds here and have as much value but I figure it's good for fire starting if nothing else!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.