New Woodstove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you're right about the quality. I've been looking at stoves for a while now and I have to admit if I didn't go out there and see the stove in person I probably would have bought a different stove. Great quality and the stoves in person are amazing so there was no way I was coming home without putting my name on one. I'm just not sure how I'm going to get it out of my truck when I get it home.

Rent a trailer with a ramp. Should cost you about $20 for the rental. Keep it on the pallet (or however it is packaged up), slide a dolly under the pallet/box/stove and wheel it to it's location with minimal lifting and cursing.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to get it out of my truck when I get it home.
If you've got a couple of stout planks like 1x10, and can back up to a hill so that you can unload it pretty flat, and appliance dolly should work. If you have two other guys to help, you could probably pick it up with the dolly and the two guys could lift on the bottom, you could lift on the dolly, and lower it straight out of the bed. My nephew and I picked it up and moved it a few feet from the pallet to the hearth. I still don't know how we were able to do that...

I think the trailer might be a good idea, I will have a few people to help me unload it but I'm pretty sure the guy at woodstock said it would weigh 525 lbs crated so that's pretty heavy! Another question, my old flue setup has a damper in it, is this required? Most setups I've been looking at just have a straight shot of pipe. This stove is going to be sitting e few inches lower than my old stove so I'm going to have to purchase a piece of pipe anyway, I would like to get this setup the best way possible.

Here's a picture of my pipe that was on my old stove......
2012-09-09_16-35-23_837.jpg

my old flue setup has a damper in it, is this required?
You probably wouldn't need one unless you have a really strong draft. I put one in mine just to have another option, but don't need it now with only 17' of stack. If your stove is leaky a damper can be useful until you can fix it.

I think the trailer might be a good idea, I will have a few people to help me unload it but I'm pretty sure the guy at woodstock said it would weigh 525 lbs crated so that's pretty heavy! Another question, my old flue setup has a damper in it, is this required? Most setups I've been looking at just have a straight shot of pipe. This stove is going to be sitting e few inches lower than my old stove so I'm going to have to purchase a piece of pipe anyway, I would like to get this setup the best way possible.

Here's a picture of my pipe that was on my old stove......
View attachment 73508
With enough cursing and yelling, you'd be surprised how much one person can lift!

LOL, we moved in my T6 with not too much problem. Getting it off the truck was easier than expected. I set up two 2x10s, chocked at the ground level and it slid down with a couple people on each side in seconds. Then it was an easy ratchet strapping to the hand truck and off to the house.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm off tomorrow morning for the 6 hour round trip to get my Fireview! I've decided to just put it in the back of my truck, my neighbor has a hill I can back into and hopefully take it off without a problem. I feel like a kid at Christmas, I'm looking forward to the cold weather now...... ::F

On a side note, I just found out I make parts for Woodstock Soapstone. I'm a machinist and they are a customer of the company I work for. I never put it together, all the paperwork I received just said Woodstock and we have a HUGE customer base so it never dawned on me. I'll have to see where the parts go on the stove.......

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Cool! Tell 'em you'll bring a truckload of parts to exchange for a free stove! >>

Try starting a conversation with charly instead. That way he'll get an email. This is a 1.5 yr old thread.

No problem, you stand a better chance of response starting a convo.

Begreen? You feeling alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.