New XXV install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayslayer

Jul 23, 2011
wallkill,ny
Here are the picks from my install this past week. I still have a little to due with the drapes and cut back bush. Does the venting look ok? Had it professionally installed.

2011-09-16_13-13-26_74.jpg

2011-09-22_12-04-30_815.jpg

Thanks for all the great help and info.

Looks nice. I do hope that's 4" pipe... If not, take a look at this thread and specifically "EVL".

Sure does look like 3", it definitely should have been 4". Those 2 90 elbows don't leave much room til you hit 15'.

nayslayer said:
I do believe the inside pipe is 4in for what it's worth

Sure looks like 3", and if it is, you're going to have a problem. From what I can conservatively see, your EVL is AT LEAST 35.....WAY over the limit for 3" pipe. (anything over EVL of 15 calls for 4" pipe).

Well you can start with back pressure in the venting causing over firing thermals to trip shutting the stove down, the combustion blower overheating such that its thermals trip shutting the stove down, possible creosote build up in the venting (fire hazard), inconsistent burning, burn pot fill up and overflow (fire hazard).

What happens will depend upon firing rates and both inside and outside atmospheric conditions.

Venting must meet the manufacturer's listed requirements.

There are many threads on here dealing with venting issues.

The reason they have EVL ratings is that the combustion blowers just can't overcome the frictional losses due to all of the pipe surface. The velocity of the exhaust will be slowed down, resulting in poor draft, and increased build-up of ash.

IMO, even if your upgrade to 4", the stove is going to have a tough time....that is a VERY long exhaust pipe and has too many bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.