new XXV is a glutenous pig, why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with ya Harvey, I shitcanned what the dealers tech. told me days ago - but I did give her suggestion(running the fan lower) a try. I forgot to mentioned in the OP that for the first day I ran the fan wide open and the next day is when the dealer tech. told me to run it lower. I've been running the fan on high(or close to it) the last few days. Been doing some experimenting and it's running about as good as it's gonna get.

I just was expecting too much but am still thrilled with the stove. While my old Avalon outdoes(efficiencywise) my new Harman in my drafty shed hopefully the Harman will do better when put in the new future house

The other handle that you can turn on efficiency is controlling how much heat goes out the vent. Some stoves control that by means of an inlet damper that allows you to reduce the airflow.
Others have the ability to do electronic trim of airflow.
Either way the point is that the slower it passes through the heat exchanger the more heat can be extracted.
My MVAE doesn't directly give me a handle on airflow. The way to manipulate airflow is by selecting pellet type and elevation. They seem to have done a good job of it though.

If you don't drink the Harman Kool Aid and you will be burned at the stake!
Burnt and Strapped to a pallet of Infernos. A slow and painful death if they can get them to light:)

My understanding on the draft control is that it's for low burn only. Once the stove kicks up to high burn, it's irrelevant. I can hear mine when it changes.

The other handle that you can turn on efficiency is controlling how much heat goes out the vent.

Do you mean how much heat goes out the exhaust vent? If so, maybe that's why my XXV-7 eats so many pellets compared to my old stove. The exhaust temp. it blows out into the atmosphere is enough to have al gore pissed.

my XXV-7 ;lol

That's funny BGStG1aholic! I just finished reading that sooty glass thread.

From my experience, the air to fuel rations between the Avalon 900 and the XXV are two completely different animals. That Harman is using quite a bit more air for combustion, therefore the more air being introduced for the burn, the more air (and HEAT) has to be forced out your exhaust. Your old Avalon did a much better job at keeping the heat in the stove longer. Family members have had their Foxfire's (Lopi verison of the 900) for as long as you had yours and they're still purring away like kittens. IMHO you'd have been better off getting something like an Avalon Arbor if you wanted that nice cast look. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: BGStG1aholic
Status
Not open for further replies.