New XXV Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yak651

Mar 21, 2008
North Eastern WI
Finally getting some time to modify photos I took when getting ready for my stove install. Hope this works...Started out as a project to save some propane money, then turned into a much larger project of finishing my basement...Started Feb last year when I purchased the stove, needed to run electrical to put it in the corner, so had to stud out a wall so I didn't need to run conduit. Well since I started studding out a wall, might as well add a couple of more walls, hey we can put a bar down here and how about a tv/theater room...Well simple project turned into a year long project, finally finishing up in Jan. this year. Enough with my boring story, I'll try to add the pictures I resized today so they would upload.

Heres the puzzle, I didn't want a standard hearth pad that they wanted to throw in with the stove, got them to give me a credit for not including the pad that was in the package deal. I framed up a raised hearth, was going to tile, but figured I wanted something different. Found some cultured stone on Craigslist someone had left over for $20. This would go on the front edges. Next for a top. Was thinking making a concrete counter top, but the pad I made was so big it would've weighed too much for me to lift. Then looked at getting limestone, again how to lift it (going in a basement) and it was going to be expensive, around $500. So kept looking, went to a quary and talked to a guy, he had some limestone "pieces" that I could buy for $50. I figured I could piece together as a puzzle. Since it wasn't working out quite right, I cut them into "tiles" so it looked somewhat symetrical

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 756
Could you show some pictures of the back of the stove? Curious how you vented it. Doesn't look like you used the Harman top vent kit (which I have and don't like)... Thanks.

lbcynya said:
Could you show some pictures of the back of the stove? Curious how you vented it. Doesn't look like you used the Harman top vent kit (which I have and don't like)... Thanks.

yea, i cant tell either....he obviously painted the 24 ga pipe, but need a closeup to see if there is a topvent or not......

Don't mean to throw water on your fire here but you'd never be able to vent a stove that close to a window here in Mass.....

The room looks great and so does the hearth.

I'll try to get some pictures of the back in the next day or so, don't have a camera at home right now. The vent pipe is 4" with the outside air intake, "direct temp" type. The window is a slider, the side closest the vent doesn't open and is 18" away, the Harman manual specs a minimum of 12" so should be legit.

The piping is Sel-Kirk direct temp piping. I think in this application the inner liner is 4 inch and the outer is 6 inch. The fresh air is pulled through between the inner and outer liner. Pretty slick and a first in L rated pipe.

Wow... nice job yak! I like the look of that big vent pipe. Looks like a woodstove.

Your assistant is a real cutie!

Hello Yak

Wow, that's a big job well done!

I thought my raised hearth 3.5 month project was alot! I used porcelain tiles with a mantle for candles and rope light.

See pic below

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 567
yak651 said:
I'll try to get some pictures of the back in the next day or so, don't have a camera at home right now. The vent pipe is 4" with the outside air intake, "direct temp" type. The window is a slider, the side closest the vent doesn't open and is 18" away, the Harman manual specs a minimum of 12" so should be legit.

In Mass you can't vent within 4 feet of a window.

I said the same thing in another post earlier.. Forgeting that it is 18" with an OAK. Selkirk pipe has the built in OAK... But that window still looks closer than 18". UNLESS.... He went out and UP far enough.. Either way. Beautiful install. Still in the process of totally finishing my basement. Only 1/3rd left to do. Then the HOG of a pellet furnace goes down

Looks nice, also interested in the back of your install, stove adapter, piping, Tees and such. Also going to use Direct Temp on my Harman. Thanks

Here's some pictures of the venting, not sure if this is what you were looking for or not (not much room to take a picture)

Attachments

• 381.jpg
    381.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 382.jpg
    382.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 383.jpg
    383.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 503
yak651 said:
Here's some pictures of the venting, not sure if this is what you were looking for or not (not much room to take a picture)

Great! Thanks!

Now, if I can be terribly demanding, can I get some dimensions from you? I might have to redo my install and I'm thinking I'd like to duplicate your setup (corner install and all). No rocks, just tile. :)

Here are the dimensions I need for perspective:

Back corner of stove top to wall (both left and right if different) = ?
Center of vertical black pipe to back of stove (back being the plate with the red sticker) = ?
Center of wall thimble to corner = ?

That would help a bunch! Thanks again for your contribution and your inspiration!

lbcynya said:
yak651 said:

Great! Thanks!

Now, if I can be terribly demanding, can I get some dimensions from you? I might have to redo my install and I'm thinking I'd like to duplicate your setup (corner install and all). No rocks, just tile. :)

Here are the dimensions I need for perspective:

Back corner of stove top to wall (both left and right if different) = ? Approx 10"
Center of vertical black pipe to back of stove (back being the plate with the red sticker) = ? Approx 8-1/4"
Center of wall thimble to corner = ? Approx 18"
That would help a bunch! Thanks again for your contribution and your inspiration!

If I did it again (and I may modify it), I would move the stove out of the corner a little more to give more room for cleaning stove (blower, esp probe, etc)

Thanks for the pics..Just what I want to do with P38+. A few questions if you don't mind,.what Selkirk pipe or adapter you use between the stove vent collar and the tee, Harmans have a thick "3" in. collar, (3 7/16" OD) ,is that a 3 to 4" tee, and did you use any sealant between the Direct Temp pipes even though there is a fiber O ring? Thanks again... Looks real nice....

gfreek said:
Thanks for the pics..Just what I want to do with P38+. A few questions if you don't mind,.what Selkirk pipe or adapter you use between the stove vent collar and the tee, Harmans have a thick "3" in. collar, (3 7/16" OD) ,is that a 3 to 4" tee, and did you use any sealant between the Direct Temp pipes even though there is a fiber O ring? Thanks again... Looks real nice....

Truthfully I don't know, the piping and stove installation was included as part of the promotion going on when I purchased the stove. I watched a little when they were installing, but tried not to get in their way.

yak651 said:
gfreek said:

Truthfully I don't know, the piping and stove installation was included as part of the promotion going on when I purchased the stove. I watched a little when they were installing, but tried not to get in their way.

Can you do me a favor and measure or estimate the temperature of OAK air? I am curious how much that direct-temp piping heats the incoming air.

Status
Not open for further replies.