New XXV venting questions / problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris288

Nov 1, 2010
ny
Hi Guys, Just got a new XXV in brown enamel to replace our 14 year old aging whitfield Advantage plus. Anyway, first things first, have it sitting in the corner of the living room and my whitfield vent location was in the upper left hand corner, XXV is in the middle down low, 2 90 elbows will make it too low and i[m struggling to find the proper pipes to match up the new stove. Looks like I may just have to remove the old thimble and put a plate on the side of the house to cover the hole and put in a new thimble down lower with one 45 and one lenght of straight pipe and a cap.

The other question is the diameter of the vent, literature says 3" and my old whitfield vent was exactly 3" and the stove adapter slid right on, the new XXV bolt on flange measures just under 3.5 inches diameter and the stove adapter isn't even close.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris.

nobody knows if a standard 3" stove adapter is supposed to fit on the XXV bolt on flange ? I'm wondering if they supplied me with the wrong one.

Welcome to the forum chris288,

I can't answer question about the adapter, you also need to provide some spacing information in order to get suggestions on matching up the venting.

There are a number of Harman folks on here, you might want to add Harman in front of the XXV in your thread title.

Hi chris

Welcome to the forum!!! I have a P68 that uses the same exhaust flange as the XXV, and also have 3" pipe.

I dont remember the sizing of the adaptor before the cleanout T, but will check tonight if no one answers before.

Great stove, my g/f has an XXV and loves it.

Thanks for the welcomes ! looks like a lot of people think the dura-vent is junk, what seems to be considered the best ?

I use 3" pellet selkirk pipe on my XXV. I still had to silicone the crap out of some of the pipes inside the house, but it vents great now. Use an LED light in the dark after install and you can see just about any leak.

Use silicone and "lightly" tap the adapter on with a block of wood then connect the pipe. So far this is the best method I have found. If possiable get a screw or three in there.

Eric

[quote author="chris288" date="1288650614"]Thanks for the welcomes ! looks like a lot of people think the dura-vent is junk, what seems to be considered the best ?

ICC EXCEL STAINLESS STEEL PELLET PIPE, I used it loved it, yes more money but in this case you get what you pay for.

I believe DuraVent has a "Pro" version that getts better reviews than the regular. Otherwise, ICC Excel pipe works very well.

kinsman stoves said:
Use silicone and "lightly" tap the adapter on with a block of wood then connect the pipe. So far this is the best method I have found. If possiable get a screw or three in there.

Eric

Also, you may want to remove the exhaust flange (3 bolts), attach the adaptor and reinstall: much easier for those of us that dont do this often. If it's a new stove, then the gasket should be just fine.

gbreda said:
I believe DuraVent has a "Pro" version that getts better reviews than the regular. Otherwise, ICC Excel pipe works very well.

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Also, you may want to remove the exhaust flange (3 bolts), attach the adaptor and reinstall: much easier for those of us that dont do this often. If it's a new stove, then the gasket should be just fine.

Pellet Vent Pro is what I sell and the best pipe I have been introduced too. Pellet Vent and Corn Vent is apples and oranges to Pellet Vent Pro.

Eric

craigsward said:
I use 3" pellet selkirk pipe on my XXV. I still had to silicone the crap out of some of the pipes inside the house, but it vents great now. Use an LED light in the dark after install and you can see just about any leak.

I thought the seal inside made it so that you DONT have to use the slimey stuff? (thats what My Harman dealer said)

(going to try the LED light test Tonight)

samm6 said:
craigsward said:

I thought the seal inside made it so that you DONT have to use the slimey stuff? (thats what My Harman dealer said)

(going to try the LED light test Tonight)

He may have been talking about Excel (ICC) pellet vent.
It has RTV silicone seals inside each section - REXCEPT the stove adapter.
THAT section requires the "slimy" stuff...

Chris

My P68 has ICC Excel vent and uses a 3" adaptor. I was not the original installer, but I have had it apart to try and fix a leak. The adaptor goes right to the base of the flange.

Again, if I were doing a new install on this stove, I would remove the flange and work the adaptor on to it, then put in 2-3 screws to hold it, silicone the joint and re-attach to the stove. If using ICC, Pro Pellet or Selkirk, this is the only place that you SHOULD need to silicone or seal.

edit: maybe contact Eric at Kinsman. He can set you up and point in the right directon here.

gbreda said:

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Make sure that you use an adapter with the PVP. It has a manufacturer silicone gasket and the bead will not alow enough diamete to connect to the take off., Yes, the adapter will fit but it is TIGHT. block of wood is a good idea.

Just last night I roughed my pipe for my XXV using 3" Simpson PVPro pipe. I used their 3" appliance adapter and it fits real snug on the bolted on flange. Now tonight I get to bore through 9 inches of concrete. Any volunteers? Also when I go to permanently install the appliance adapter what is the preferred method to connect the appliance adapter?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.