New Year, New Saw, First Scrounge...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Post

Oct 24, 2007
Southern WI
I noticed an oak limb broke off in a neighbors yard after our big snow two weeks ago. I stopped by and asked if he'd like me to cut it up for the wood. He said he thought he had a guy that wanted it but to check back in a week and if it's still there, I could have it. Two days later he called and said c'mon over whenever and cut it up. While I was there marveling at the way my new Stihl 362 cut through the oak, he mentioned a couple of dead limbs on one of the biggest open grown bur oak I have ever seen. He said take em if you want em. I took em. Ended up being a couple of trailer loads for me...Yes it's a small trailer. :) Have a Happy and Safe 2013!

165_6516sm.JPG

Nice haul and even nicer saw. Ain't it fun to have a new toy? I remember when I got my new MS 441, I wanted to clear cut my neighbor's 105 acers! Thankfully my wife sedated me, hid my bar oil and truck keys.==c

Nice score
Keep it coming,
Do you go with the oak season time "wood will be ready in 2 years" ?
or the 3 year paln?
After split & stacked ;)

Very nice saw, 362 to be my next saw ;)
Looks great on top of the stack :)

Reactions: ScotO
It may not be a huge haul . . . but I tend to see every load in terms of "one load for the woodstove" or "one week's of wood for the woodstove." Every bit helps.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Nice new toy, Jim......and a nice haul, too! Like Jake said, every little bit helps. Before you know it, that little bit here and there really adds up and as you look out the back window at your hoard, the whole neighborhood thinks your NUTS.

Jim, that is good helping the neighbor out by taking his wood! Congratulations on the new saw too.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for the kind words...the 362 seems to be the real deal...it replaced a John Deere 60v with a 24" bar that had been cutting my firewood since 1989....Couldn't get parts for the JD anymore...I like the chain brake and safety and emission features of the Stihl...plus I got a pair of chaps too. I looked like quite the dude with all the new orange I was sportin' :) Here's a pic of my remaining wood pile...Jan 21st (1/2 way thru Heating Season) can't get here quick enough. Last year's non-winter really screwed up my wood metering ability I'm afraid. It's gonna be closer than I like to cut it. I usually get a good year on the oak sometimes 2 years but I scrounge most of my wood and it's tough to find oak. I'm hoping to be the guy if either of those monster oaks go anytime soon. Be safe out there!
165_6543sm.JPG

Bur Oak is one of the best Oaks you can get for fuel.Or pretty much anything else for that matter too.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
uh-huh....

Status
Not open for further replies.