New Year starts warm for many

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Here in central MI the year started at 36 degrees and we had no fire in the stove. Forecast for New Year's Day was for falling temperatures. Now they've changed that to forecasting a high of 45. Tomorrow a high of 26 with falling temperatures and a low of 10 degrees. They have even toned down the wind forecast. Whereas they had forecast up to 50 mph wind gusts not they say 39 mph gusts today and 40 mph tonight. By Thursday, back above freezing.

Will this be the winter that wasn't?

How is the weather in your area?

Ridiculously warm. Hell, the ground hasn't even really frozen yet..... This has got to be the slowest season for snowblower repairs I've ever had. It's 48 here now.

Backwoods Savage said:
Here in central MI the year started at 36 degrees and we had no fire in the stove. Forecast for New Year's Day was for falling temperatures. Now they've changed that to forecasting a high of 45. Tomorrow a high of 26 with falling temperatures and a low of 10 degrees. They have even toned down the wind forecast. Whereas they had forecast up to 50 mph wind gusts not they say 39 mph gusts today and 40 mph tonight. By Thursday, back above freezing.

Will this be the winter that wasn't?

How is the weather in your area?

It's been mild here the last three days, it's about 37 today. Looks like some snow coming in, some sites have 4-6 others are calling for 1-3 with possible wind gust at 40 mph.

All the weather sites have been off on predictions of storms coming in so far this year.

zap

May make it to 60 today. A little snow tonight. Then Tue. and Wed. won't make it over 30 with the nights in the teens.

You can tell cold weather is forecast. I can hear three chainsaws in the area running cutting some firewood for later in the week. :shut:

That's funny Bart. Just yesterday I stopped at a neighbor's place and it appears they have about enough wood to last maybe a week. Funny though, we don't hear any chainsaws yet....

One neighbor that heats all with wood is a little ahead. He had three large oaks dropped a month ago and he has a few weeks worth split and is burning it now.

Wow. That should be prime by now!

Not here.28 when I woke up at 7AM,34 & partly sunny now.Wind gusts of 45-60 MPH from the NW since around 9PM last night.28 tommorow with the wind finally dying down.

Windy and getting colder here today.
Calling for our first real snowfall here, 8"-12" west of US-131.
Took the dog for a 6.5mile walk after lunch today.
Figured that was better for me than veging on the couch watching football.
Son is a huge Lions fan, my team is America's Team, they have it all on the line tonight vs the Giants.
Lions actually winning right now.

With temps in the 50's I managed to get my spring cleaning/reorg of the garage done early. . .

About darned time it gets cold too, and I wouldn't mind <=12" of snow sometime soon either. No idea if that's going to happen though...

We woke up to 52f and it reached 56f this afternoon, albeit with steady rain.

We only lit up at 3pm as it was so dingy and miserable, it really was not cold.

Must burn some wood soon to empty the greenhouses, then we can sow our seeds in late February :)

47f here in pa, but the rain has started. Getting down to freezing tonight, and then the temps plummett. Highs in the 20 and lows in the teens next couple nights. Mother nature is having too much fun messing with us.

When I step outside my back door, I'm under a 12x14 deck. I have three wood racks under my deck and a couple of free-stacked runs as well. The one on the far left is 6x10x18", consists of beetle-killed spruce, and is named January, and I am relieved that I haven't had to touch that yet. The one on the near left, next to it, has about a third of the wood left; that's December. I hope it warms up enough to get the short cord of birch up by the garage moved down to refill December; I'll be in the clover then. On the other side of the corridor between stacks is a pile of fire-killed spruce, about 5x10x18", named February. I haven't really tapped into that one much yet, although I mix the woods to burn them, so the month names are not completely accurate. It's just my way of keeping count of what's left.

On the far right is some birch that isn't quite as well-seasoned, but I can burn it if I have to. It's named March. On the path up to the garage stash is another cord and a half of birch that has been c/s since March, stacked since June, got some rain but I think is better than the March stuff, so that's my ace in the hole. I hope I will be able to save that pile until next year, but okay if I don't, as I have a few cords of birch on the other side of the house for next winter and a half-cord at least of some nice poplar. I have about a half-cord of poplar from last year stacked up there as well, named April. Might not need to get at it, but if I do, it'll be easier to get at as the snow will be melting off by then, and it should be real good.

I'm counting down the days until the end of March (only 90 now), and keeping a close eye on the stacks. When I get through March, I'll figure it's in the bag--at that point, it's just a matter of staying comfortable. In typing this up, I realize that naming the stacks is a bit of a stretch, even for these forums. But it sure does give me a sense of security to step out there and mentally thumb through the inventory.

Does that tell you how our winter is going?

snowleopard said:
is named January, I realize that naming the stacks is a bit of a stretch, even for these forums. But it sure does give me a sense of security to step out there and mentally thumb through the inventory.

Does that tell you how our winter is going?

I think it's a great idea, I can see myself naming our greenhouses next Autumn ;-)

happy new year, dennis (and mrs.)
yesterday, we had some winds and weather move in for a couple of days. by this morning, we were dumped about 12-14 total (guessing, not official since there was no paper today). was nice to have the day off. only thing, snowblower wouldn't start. its mon afternoon now and looks like the weather has broke. now, it will get colder. i'm at zero now, with winds but no snow.
by thur and fri, back into the lower 30's-we'll see.

Thistle said:
Not here.28 when I woke up at 7AM,34 & partly sunny now.Wind gusts of 45-60 MPH from the NW since around 9PM last night.28 tommorow with the wind finally dying down.
Lost another 20sqft of shingles in this garbage. Having a killer time getting quotes for the work. Nobody wants to take the high/steep roof. Have had two guys flat out refuse to quote and a third that said "I was afraid you wanted me to do that part of the roof" and then took measurements and never mailed a bid. So now I'm standing here with two metal roof quotes for 6500-7500 for the whole "high part" of my roof and 2800 bucks of insurance claim money for half of the roof.

It's been warmish, in the 40's and 30's...windy the past few days. Gusts have been shaking the sliding doors and making it hard to sleep last night, still gusting as I type. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be like 14 and today was in the mid 30's. Should be back to the mid to upper 30's by the end of the week again.

eclecticcottage said:
It's been warmish, in the 40's and 30's...windy the past few days. still gusting as I type. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be like 14 .

I'll second that.
It was interesting last night as we sat at the kitchen table playing cards with my son and his girlfriend.
The power went out and without batting an eye or missing a beat, the kids had their cell phones
on and were studying their cards like it happens all the time.

Peace-
Kenny

Gusty here too, but temps have been in the low 50's for a few days now. Sending it your way soon to chase out bogydave's chilly New Year greeting.

Danno77 said:
Lost another 20sqft of shingles in this garbage. Having a killer time getting quotes for the work. Nobody wants to take the high/steep roof. Have had two guys flat out refuse to quote and a third that said "I was afraid you wanted me to do that part of the roof" and then took measurements and never mailed a bid. So now I'm standing here with two metal roof quotes for 6500-7500 for the whole "high part" of my roof and 2800 bucks of insurance claim money for half of the roof.

Ouch! Might be cheaper to rent a cherry-picker and get up there and do the work yourself. Is that an option?

I think I'd be tempted to buy a very large, sturdy tarp and tarp it off for the winter, and deal with it when the weather and light were on my side. I only have a 4-on-12, IIRC, but there's no way I'd go up there now, or send anyone up on my roof. If that snow load cut loose with someone on it, there's be a mess.

Danno77 said:
Lost another 20sqft of shingles in this garbage. Having a killer time getting quotes for the work.

Sitting here with 60 - 80mph winds as I type.

One heck of a storm going on.

It wouldn't be a bad thing but the wood store is full, and I'm worried about the roof of the house.........

Wicked warm here yesterday . . . back to seasonal temps today and the rest of the week. We need snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.