New Years Plans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Gonna be hanging with the Murph. myself, and doin' some tunes.

Hangin with the cat and the hearth.com crowd. Regular night.

I'll have to check with my two year old grand-daughter. She nailed it for Christmas.
I for one, will miss 2011 for many reasons.
Bottoms Up-
Kenny

Heading over the hill to mingle with friends and commiserate over a bad year and hope for the next. At least there will be some good wine and interesting home brews present.

Cooked shrimp ring from Safeway (with dipping sauce in the middle). Bottle of Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs. My trusty one remaining companion Rascal by my side. And a whole lot of great memories of New Year's Eves past. No way I'm going anywhere...us old pro drunk drivers call New Year's Eve "Amateur Night". It's dangerous out there...much safer in my living room. :) Monday I'm over to my niece & nephew's to watch the Rose Bowl...they're trying to turn me into a Duck, gave me a University of Oregon cap for Christmas. Rick

Take my wife to the bedroom, start a fire in the stove, gaze at it then into each others eyes, then fall asleep by 10pm. LOL.

schlot said:
Take my wife to the bedroom, start a fire in the stove, gaze at it then into each others eyes, then fall asleep by 10pm. LOL.

Carry on :)

fossil said:
Cooked shrimp ring from Safeway (with dipping sauce in the middle). Bottle of Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs. My trusty one remaining companion Rascal by my side. And a whole lot of great memories of New Year's Eves past. No way I'm going anywhere...us old pro drunk drivers call New Year's Eve "Amateur Night". It's dangerous out there...much safer in my living room. :) Monday I'm over to my niece & nephew's to watch the Rose Bowl...they're trying to turn me into a Duck, gave me a University of Oregon cap for Christmas. Rick

Yeah, we're getting that stuff, too.

Amateur night it is

I'll be here :)

Have some steaks getting ready to grill up and will pick up some seafood tomorrow. Usually we do a few whole lobsters for New Year's but the Mrs isn't in the mood for that this year. Maybe some scallops and oysters this time around the sun. We'll see what we can come across tomorrow that looks good.

Used to have a lot of fun on amateur night but with the kids, it's just easier / safer to make fun at home while celebrating the New Year.

pen

Staying at home as usual but with a new addition here ;-)

DSC09990-1.jpg

hope everyone has a nice New Years eh!! :coolsmile:

DSC09500-2.jpg

pen said:
...Used to have a lot of fun on amateur night...

Oh, make no mistake, I did too...many times. But at some point I seem to have realized how lucky I'd been, and that I really couldn't count on my luck to hold out forever. Since that epiphany, I've been a whole lot more careful...no matter what the date might be. Rick

fossil said:
pen said:

Oh, make no mistake, I did too...many times. But at some point I seem to have realized how lucky I'd been, and that I really couldn't count on my luck to hold out forever. Since that epiphany, I've been a whole lot more careful...no matter what the date might be. Rick

I hear that fossil. I'm there too, though I hate to admit it.

pen

The bar we used to go to after work used to close for New Years Eve. Barbara the owner called it amateur night too. She said us regulars would come in, get plowed and have good fun with each other, her and the waitresses then stagger home. But that on New Years Eve the idiots come out and her and her ladies didn't need that chit.

DD is flying Outside on Sunday. School doesn't start up until the 16th, but her swim coach scheduled their training trip for the middle of Christmas break. Darn it. They will be in the Florida Keys for a week while we are sitting in Howthehellcolddidyousayitisoutside Alaska, feeling like this might have been an IQ test that we didn't pass. But that is Sunday, and on New Year's Eve, she and her brother and I will be hanging out, eating spaghetti or salmon (we haven't decided which) and playing board games and drinking sparkling cider, which is how those of us Not Yet Ready for Amateur Night celebrate a good time. Their dad was invited over for Christmas dinner, and he invited himself early and stayed late and misbehaved and now we don't have to do that again. Woot! And this year I'm going to be the banker for Monopoly. DS always wins, and he always banks, and I'm thinking that there's a connection. Maybe we'll watch Zombieland and eat a Twinkie. Or not.

Y'all stay warm and safe.

Oh, yeah, and it's been -20 at our house for the last few days, and colder in town, and ridiculous out in the low-lying areas. However, the tree is still up, the critters are healthy, the woodpile is hanging in there, the kids are reasonably civil and overall turning out okay. We're doing alright.

fossil said:
pen said:

They talk about a cat having nine lives. :bug:
Now I don't even like to drive after dark. :-S
Heard a lyric the other day, "I'm too old to die young." :)
Kenny

Mr Gamma and I are stayin in. I got some nice lobster tails and jumbo shrimp...and DogFish Head of course...

Last New Years we got into a big fight and I told him to "turn the effin wood stove off...I had it!" My nerves got the best of me having a woodstove thrown into my life and not knowing how the hell to operate it.
What a difference a year makes. I joined Hearth.com in January and now I am the main operator of the woodstove. I don't like him touching my 30.... :coolsmile:

Happy New Years all... :)

After last weekend and Christmas with the houseful for the ~entire~ weekend, we need some 'lone time!

Eve will be like most nights. Put the babies to bed at 6 and hope they don't wake up crying... Joey is getting his first molar. Then some wine and beer and snacks and we may light the fireplace. In bed by 11 tho as the kids will be up at 5 as always.

Then new years day my RC airplane club has our annual frozen fingers fly in where we all show up at 9am to fly planes and drink coffee on the first of the year for as long as we can stand the cold.

Off to see Mission Impossible at 4 then dinner at 7 & home with the P61A by 8:30.
Susan may have a Guinness or two, but I'm C&S for 15.5 years, so it'll be coffee for me.
May or may not see the big ball drop. Don't really care. This is my 60th NYE so it's not
such a big deal anymore. Tomorrow, tho, temps in the 40s & we're gonna ride in the
"First Annual Frosty Balls Run" with the HOG Chapter.

Happy New Year, Hearthheads!

I've got an amusing story that kind of fits here. Before I posted the message above my new wife and I had planned on going out of town to see her sister for a late Christmas. I told my son (18 and home from college) and didn't think anything of it.

An hour later I checked on Facebook and he was lining up a party while we were gone. We made the phone call to her sister to cancel and told her why, but we haven't told him yet.

We were thinking about staying around and making him wiggle and squirm not knowing when we were "going" then taking off, but only to WalMart, etc. for an hour or two then popping back in.

I know I'm a mean dad, but hey it's cheap entertainment!

DAKSY said:
Off to see Mission Impossible at 4 then dinner at 7 & home with the P61A by 8:30.
Susan may have a Guinness or two, but I'm C&S for 15.5 years, so it'll be coffee for me.
May or may not see the big ball drop. Don't really care. This is my 60th NYE so it's not
such a big deal anymore. Tomorrow, tho, temps in the 40s & we're gonna ride in the
"First Annual Frosty Balls Run" with the HOG Chapter.

Happy New Year, Hearthheads!

Way to go on C and S!

<>Way to go on C and S!<>

Thanks, Schlot! Probably would not have made it to my 50th NYE
if I had kept going the way I was going...

we,re going to be heading down to the local Elks lodge
to have dinner and a little dancing," so the Mrs thinks"...lol

personally i'd rather be out plowing snow but....winter hasnt quite started here yet

We will be sitting by the pellet stove in our new home, sipping the most expensive French champagne we've ever purchased, waiting for that efin' ball to drop while we sit with a 2-pound hammer and a bag of spikes to hammer down the coffin lid of 2011 - the worst single year in our 33 years together.

Happy New Year. May we never see another like 2011. :-S

Nothing special. Gonna fix either French Onion Soup or Knackwurst with German Potato Salad & Saurkraut.Maybe a couple beers or glass of Cabernet.Havent been able to stay awake until midnight for a few years now,must be getting old haha.

Good night to stay home where its warm & away from the crazy nutjobs on the roads.I did all that stuff years ago,amazing I'm still alive actually.Amateur Night indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.