New Years Plans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
schlot said:
I've got an amusing story that kind of fits here. Before I posted the message above my new wife and I had planned on going out of town to see her sister for a late Christmas. I told my son (18 and home from college) and didn't think anything of it.

An hour later I checked on Facebook and he was lining up a party while we were gone. We made the phone call to her sister to cancel and told her why, but we haven't told him yet.

We were thinking about staying around and making him wiggle and squirm not knowing when we were "going" then taking off, but only to WalMart, etc. for an hour or two then popping back in.

I know I'm a mean dad, but hey it's cheap entertainment!

HAHAHA My parents did that with me when I was around that age,they were going out of town someplace I thought.Yet mysteriously appeared back home a few hours later,I was busted with about 20 friends already pretty liquored up & the whole house smelling like weed. :lol:

Dad & I actually laughed about it a while back,though he sure wasnt laughing 30 yrs ago at the time. ;-)

schlot said:
I've got an amusing story that kind of fits here. Before I posted the message above my new wife and I had planned on going out of town to see her sister for a late Christmas. I told my son (18 and home from college) and didn't think anything of it.

An hour later I checked on Facebook and he was lining up a party while we were gone. We made the phone call to her sister to cancel and told her why, but we haven't told him yet.

We were thinking about staying around and making him wiggle and squirm not knowing when we were "going" then taking off, but only to WalMart, etc. for an hour or two then popping back in.

Pics, or it didn't happen (oh to be a fly on the wall) %-P

Dad, mom and sister used to go to visit my aged aunt on Sunday afternoon. As soon as they left I would hot wire Dad's '56 Chevy work car and make a round of the teen hangouts. One Sunday my head was under the dash hot wiring when my ankles were grabbed and I was yanked out of the car on my butt.

Dad forgot his reading glasses and came back to get'em. :red:

schlot said:

This definitely sounds amusing and I would love to know how it ends if you want to give us an update later LOL :lol:

Being the romantic guy I am, I got a box of wine and some frozen pizzas. Twilight Zone marathon will be interrupted by Game of Thrones (I spoil her). Better take it easy cuz after a week of vacation boredom is setting in and she's apt to get a little frisky and look for someone to start smooching. I don't want to pass out early and wake up with magic marker all over my face, like last year.

btuser said:
Being the romantic guy I am, I got a box of wine and some frozen pizzas. Twilight Zone marathon will be interrupted by Game of Thrones (I spoil her). Better take it easy cuz after a week of vacation boredom is setting in and she's apt to get a little frisky and look for someone to start smooching. I don't want to pass out early and wake up with magic marker all over my face, like last year.

Holy crap...Twilight Zone marathon for 2 days.....I did not realize...thanks btuser...I just put it on.....lil people episode....one of my favs.... :)

Going out for dinner with good friends of ours that we only see a couple times a year! Then probably play a little euchre,(we let the women win) ;-)

Gary

btuser said:

Keep it up, and she'll swoon :)

My guidelines for the evening;

Attachments

• Fk17i.jpg
    Fk17i.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 212
GAMMA RAY said:
Holy crap...Twilight Zone marathon for 2 days.....I did not realize...thanks btuser...I just put it on.....lil people episode....one of my favs.... :)

I don't think I could pick a favorite. Maybe the mannequin one. Watching them with my daughter is awesome. She has completly given up on TV, now its Dick Van Dyke and the Cosby show via Nexflix. Popular culture has definitely gone down hill. Thank God for the Internet!

Good friends here fifth year in a row. Eating junk food cooked up by the kids. A bit of spirits, lovely fire in the 30, board games, maybe a movie, and shared optimism for an upbeat 2012!

Roast beef and potatoes and a touch of the grape. Watching the outside cat sleep by the 30 and catching up on posts. Seeing what people with real lives are doing tonight. :lol:

Have a great 2012 folks.

Got the Lincoln Center/ Gershwin thing on the tube :)

Plans got changed. DD accepted a late invitation for Sat afternoon that got stretched out into late-ish, and had made arrangements for her brother to drop her off, get some shopping done, and pick her up. He came home, went to bed, and called it a night. I had been out moving wood, emptying the ash can, etc., and was cold. Taking a hot bath when the phone rang, DD needing a ride home. Grrrrr . . . DS had stuck the jeep in a snowbank, I had wet hair under a wool cap, insurance on the jeep was set to run out at midnight, kids had left the gas tank on empty, etc., so snarly mood as I started down the road. The sight of fireworks all over the sky reminded me that this was the second consecutive NYE that I had spent driving around in the dark picking up DD, fifty mile round trip, twisty roads with no road signs, etc. (Did I mention that it's -25 or so?)

Subsequent conversation in the car:
"I was pretty upset earlier as I was driving over to pick you up."
"I'm sorry, it just worked out that way, I thought E was going to pick me up, etc., etc."
"But now I'm not upset anymore."
"Oh?"
"I had a thought that calmed me beautifully. Fifteen sled-loads of birch hauled down from the garage and stacked."
"Okay."

The year is looking up already.

Our 15 month old granddaughter spent the night with us. That is as real as life gets in my book. :)

wetwood said:
Our 15 month old granddaughter spent the night with us. That is as real as life gets in my book. :)

Ah, the dreaded transverse sleeper. Nothing like a kick in the kidneys to wake you up in the morning, eh? If the giggles could be bottled to be decanted at will, what a wonderful world this would be . . .

schlot said:

We have just got to know how this went. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
schlot said:

We have just got to know how this went. :coolgrin:

Seriously. Pics would be even better
roll.gif

I was painting the dining room today, and popped in here a few times for updates :)

Certainly not planned, but ended up at the ER with our six year old. Presented with almost classic symptoms of appendicitis, without the really severe abdominal pain and guarding. She was very uncomfortable, and just way off. The staff was pretty persistent in trying to rule it out, but couldn't explain the high white count. After xrays and ultrasounds, they finally confirmed with a ct. And of course my child is different than most, and the routine 45 minute appendectomy turned into an hour and a half.
She finally just ate for the first time since yesterday morning, and really perked up. Watching some TV and chillin'. Probably go home sometime tomorrow. We are fortunate to live about about 15 minutes away from one of the best pediatric centers in the world. Staff and facility at C.S. Mott Children's Hospital at the University of Michigan are top notch. While definitely not fun, it's been a really positive experience.

jeff_t said:
Certainly not planned, but ended up at the ER with our six year old. Presented with almost classic symptoms of appendicitis, without the really severe abdominal pain and guarding. She was very uncomfortable, and just way off. The staff was pretty persistent in trying to rule it out, but couldn't explain the high white count. After xrays and ultrasounds, they finally confirmed with a ct. And of course my child is different than most, and the routine 45 minute appendectomy turned into an hour and a half.
She finally just ate for the first time since yesterday morning, and really perked up. Watching some TV and chillin'. Probably go home sometime tomorrow. We are fortunate to live about about 15 minutes away from one of the best pediatric centers in the world. Staff and facility at C.S. Mott Children's Hospital at the University of Michigan are top notch. While definitely not fun, it's been a really positive experience.

Good Lord !! Sending some horse snuffles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.