New York Boiler/Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iainm422

Dec 14, 2015
Nova Scotia
hi,

I am totally new to the wood boiler scene as I hail from the U.K where we have natural gas heating!
so I brought a house 3 years ago and it came with a New York wood furnace/Boiler that heats water and pumps the water round to registers.
All has been fine except this year it seems to take an age to heat the water so it flows through and then it only runs for about 5 - 10 mins and the temperature of the water drops?

I have looked at the manual that came with it and that gives me no clues, this system has a large green tank above it which I presume has water in it and the dial on the front is still in the green for water lbs but on the lower edge! I am wondering if it needs topping up? and if so how does one do that?

many thanks in advance

Iain (N.S Canada)

NY wood furnace, never heard of that brand ...maybe post a photo...hard to comment without some insight.

Nova Scotia, eh?

Did it work better or OK the first 2 years? Have you ever cleaned it?

Is the wood well seasoned? Greener wood would pose an issue.

I don't think you have a problem with your pressure tank, if your pressure is good. Usually a problem with them = high pressure & water blowing off.

If there are no visible leaks not sure what else to suggest.

(Would that be New YorkER?)

Reactions: hobbyheater
Nova Scotia, eh?

Did it work better or OK the first 2 years? Have you ever cleaned it?

Is the wood well seasoned? Greener wood would pose an issue.

I don't think you have a problem with your pressure tank, if your pressure is good. Usually a problem with them = high pressure & water blowing off.

If there are no visible leaks not sure what else to suggest.

(Would that be New YorkER?)

Hi yes its a New Yorker, worked fine 1st two winters, had a couple of blow offs in the first year as still learning how the thing ran(dogs enjoyed the sauna) and no leaks as far as i can see,cant seem to upload any pics, to large?
Also the wood is well seasoned and dry cut last year

Status
Not open for further replies.