New York Farm Show Highlights and Observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altheating

As usual, we displayed at the New York Farm Show held at the NYS Fair Grounds (Feb 24-26) Very shocked that there were only 7 manufacturers represented there with only a total of 11 units on display. Econoburn (we had two indoor units) Empyre (one Empyre Pro 200 and an Elite 100) Heatmaster (one model SS) Crown Royal (one unit) Central Boiler (one gasser and a corn burner) Wooddoctor (two units, one gasser one traditional OWB) and Greenwood (one unit) Very surprised to see a new Greenwood, back from the dead. Lots of interest as we would expect. Several attendies told us about $4.00 to $4.04 per gallon home heating fuel deliveries that were made on Wednesday and Thursday. Can you imagine paying $1100.00 for a tank of heating oil?
As you would assume we spent a lot of time listening to folks complaining about oil prices, the president and finances, but the inquiries for wood boilers just keeps increasing. It is still the one place where a farmer or anyone else for that matter can cut operating costs and stay in business.

The new OWB regulations don't seem to be slowing down the potential customers. We did have one OWB dealer (who was not displaying) say that he will continue to sell his non certified stoves even after the new OWB regs take effect after April 15th.

One thing we all heard (no facts found, nor could any of us find the source) was that Royall Manufacturing has gone belly up. Maybe someone here could update us. The first I heard of it was when a customer asked about parts for his boiler and has not been contacted in several weeks, even after several attempts.

Someone even spotted Eric Johnson at the show!

Regarding the regulations and selling OWB's after the standard takes effect. That's a fact of life. The regulation does not, as far as I know, prohibit either the manufacture or the sale of non-compliant units. All of the OWB companies are saying the same thing. They'll just keep making the dirty burners and selling them, creating more and more ill will toward wood burning from the general population.

I'm wondering what is going to happen to the date for compliance seeing that EPA is rehashing their testing method? From what I hear they finally understand that their testing protocol is the laughing stock of serious scientists everywhere and are moving to "plan B". What did you hear on that front at the show?

PS........Who in their right mind would burn corn at $6-7 a bushel? That's more expensive than oil!

heaterman said:
Regarding the regulations and selling OWB after the standard takes effect. That's a fact of life. The regulation does not, as far as I know, prohibit either the manufacture or the sale of non-compliant units. All of the OWB companies are saying the same thing. They'll just keep making the dirty burners and selling them, creating more and more ill will toward wood burning from the general population.

I'm wondering what is going to happen to the date for compliance seeing that EPA is rehashing their testing method? From what I hear they finally understand that their testing protocol is the laughing stock of serious scientists everywhere and are moving to "plan B". What did you hear on that front at the show?

PS........Who in their right mind would burn corn at $6-7 a bushel? That's more expensive than oil!

I know CB is not sending units into NY after April. We have not ordered any non EPA stoves.My understanding is non EPA Qualified furnaces will not be allowed to be installed in the state. Not a bad thing.. The part of the reg that states "any wood boiler installed in a building not inhabited by humans" will cause more of a stink (not smoke) than anything else. It will be interesting to see what the next round of EPA test results are.
Agree the price of corn is a little high to burn. Wood pellets would be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.