New York Restricts Firewood Transportation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
ALBANY - Conservation officials have banned hauling, importing or selling untreated firewood in New York in an effort to stop the spread of tree-killing insects. The Department of Environmental Conservation said Wednesday the emergency regulations are effective immediately for 90 days. They prohibit importing out-of-state firewood unless treated to eliminate invasive insect species., fungi and pathogens. Transporting any untreated firewood within the state is limited to less than 50 miles. The DEC plans to develop permanent regulations after public comment.

I think it's pre-emptive, though NY is a big state and they're trying to keep our current bugs more or less contained. Specifically, they cite the Sirex woodwasp (kills pines), the Emerald Ash Borer (kills ash trees but so far not found in NY) and the Asian Longhorned Beetle. They last thing people want to see is some joker from Michigan driving up the Adirondacks with a trunk full of ash infested with the EAB. I think the 50-mile limit is a bit over the top, but apparently the powers that be believe that hauling firewood farther than that is a losing proposition.

No restrictions on logs or pulpwood. And thank God for that, though I don't see any practical difference between logs/pulpwood and firewood.

I hope that nice stand of Beech of yours is closer than fifty miles from the house Eric. On that subject, what is the cord count in the back yard these days?

I guess I support this move we don't have any shortages of FW in this state and I'm for keeping pests out. Kind of makes it tough on those burners that border the surrounding states...probably why they're giving the 50 mile bye.

Wisconsin is adopting and advertising the same, no more than 50 mile hauling "advisory"

Eric Johnson said:
I think it's pre-emptive, though NY is a big state and they're trying to keep our current bugs more or less contained. Specifically, they cite the Sirex woodwasp (kills pines), the Emerald Ash Borer (kills ash trees but so far not found in NY) and the Asian Longhorned Beetle. They last thing people want to see is some joker from Michigan driving up the Adirondacks with a trunk full of ash infested with the EAB. I think the 50-mile limit is a bit over the top, but apparently the powers that be believe that hauling firewood farther than that is a losing proposition.

No restrictions on logs or pulpwood. And thank God for that, though I don't see any practical difference between logs/pulpwood and firewood.

Sooooo are you blaming us Michigan jokers for all your wood infestations or just one?

Rather harsh statement in my book as anyone from anywhere could import any number of bugs where ever they may go. I can understand the idea behind the law but I rather doubt it will work since no authorities can inspect everything that moves into or through their state. The ability for world and national travel has added immensly to problems such as this and so far we have not been able to prevent species from all over the world getting a start in places they have never been.

We have a sign before crossing the Big Mac bridge to the Upper Pennisula to unload your firewood before doing so. How many people do you think actually do this? Maybe a few but most wouldn't. I think people everywhere have been taught to do what you want and if you get caught then pay the price but remember the many times you did get away with it. :)

The only thing this law will do is hinder the local woodcutter from making a living. It may slow the spread but I don't think it will prevent it.

I sometimes work over 100 miles from home...and being the expert wood scrounger that I am, I often bring wood back to the house. I wonder if this is too far...or is my environmental conscience getting the best of me...? How far will your Env. conscience let you haul firewood?

Carl said:
...us Michigan jokers...

Carl, that's redundant. :lol:

Carl said:
...It may slow the spread but I don't think it will prevent it.

Agreed. Do you s'pose an insect in West Virginia knows he's there, and not in Virginia? Can insects conceive of and then recognize the artificial invisible political boundaries man has placed on Earth? Of course not. Insect populations will migrate, just as the climate will change. Rick

It sounds sort of funny. My parents just had some land logged off. It is in Goffstown, NH just outside of Manchester. The pine is being shipped to Quebec, the rest is being chipped and shipped locally.

I was upstate over the Holiday weekend and at the parking area at the trail head where we hike to the lake and people enter to go camping they had that sign posted about transporting fire wood not from the area to your campsite.

Pook said:
thinking like a bug or worm , what i am, i would migrate N in summmer & S in winter
E & W 4 vacations?

Where are you going east? Not to many options there unless you fly or take a boat over the pond. ;-)

-----

Btw how can they enforce the 50 mile reg? When the see a truck full of split wood, are they going to follow it around?

Eric Johnson said:
ALBANY - Conservation officials have banned hauling, importing or selling untreated firewood in New York in an effort to stop the spread of tree-killing insects. The Department of Environmental Conservation said Wednesday the emergency regulations are effective immediately for 90 days. They prohibit importing out-of-state firewood unless treated to eliminate invasive insect species., fungi and pathogens. Transporting any untreated firewood within the state is limited to less than 50 miles. The DEC plans to develop permanent regulations after public comment.

I dont know for sure if the DEC knows it but ash trees are dying all over the place down here - and the creature that I find in this ash sure as hell looks like the EAB.

I doubt anyone is looking to transport wood any further than they have to these days...

Massive deficits, exorbitant energy prices, two wars going on overseas, and we're worried about bugs being transported in wood! I'm glad RI isn't the only state with the inmates running the asylum...

No restrictions on logs or pulpwood. And thank God for that, though I don’t see any practical difference between logs/pulpwood and firewood.

I’m glad RI isn’t the only state with the inmates running the asylum…

Plenty of room to find fault and gaps with the restriction, but spread of tree killing insects is very serious stuff. For MN the emerald ash borer is one of the worst that has not yet arrived. Likely to wipe out nearly all ash trees in the state, a large multi-billion dollar loss. This country and states are so lax in protecting our living natural resources from invasive species that it is a wonder that we have any left at all.

As responsible citizens, and wood-burners, we would be wise not to transport or acquire any non-treated or non-kiln dried firewood other than locally - within 50 miles. We also would be wise to spread the word.

BrotherBart said:
I hope that nice stand of Beech of yours is closer than fifty miles from the house Eric. On that subject, what is the cord count in the back yard these days?
He's still counting. :lol:

I'm about 45 miles, so I'm legal for the moment. The inventory is about 33 cords and climbing. Looking in the mirror every morning compels me to push even harder. Can't shed those excess pounds like I ustacould.

I don't know how they could enforce the 50-mile rule unless, as somebody suggested, they follow you from point to point--probably not the best use for law enforcement. ("Don't you have anything better to do, officer, like pursuing criminals?").

No offense intended to Michiganites, jokers and nonjokers alike. We know it's not your fault.

I think, in all fairness, that NYS and other governmental bodies are trying to buy time, hoping that the EAB can be eradicated or at least controlled before we get infested and lose all our ash trees. It's an important resource in New York (and elsewhere) that we would sorely miss. Think baseball bats and tool handles. In all likelihood, the dead ash would be replaced by something less desirable.

^agreed...I love my ash trees. They grow tall and straight, the branches are small. Very productive harvesting these trees for FW. And it a great wood for making useful stuff. Every year I enclose my outdoor wood pile to form a walk in tent like structure. It's always a 35' ash sapling I grab for the horizontal support.

Ya all may find this hard to believe but ash will bend gently under stress and not break...and that's a real nice feature not found in the majority of woods.

I think, in all fairness, that NYS and other governmental bodies are trying to buy time, hoping that the EAB can be eradicated or at least controlled before we get infested and lose all our ash trees. It’s an important resource in New York (and elsewhere) that we would sorely miss. Think baseball bats and tool handles. In all likelihood, the dead ash would be replaced by something less desirable.

Ash is a very nice wood and hate to see it get hit with the EAB. Lots of it here and it is on the dangered list for these beetles. Our Elm are mostly gone, our oaks are infested with another beetle, and now the ash. The bugs outnumber us and evolve so quickly that we can't keep up. Our poisoning them may be making it worse because they can mutate and adjust, coming back more vibrant than before.

One older fellow I know is starting to cut his ash for firewood in fear the state will eventually require everyone to cut them all down. Soon we will have a land covered with scrub brush and no real trees to speek of. I doubt it will happen in my time but probably in the long range of things. Not a nice thought.

Thanks for the additional input on Michiganders. We love our state as well as others do theirs and face the same problems as the whole country does. I don't think dealing with nature is anyones fault totally. Our home is the Planet Earth for now. Name calling gets nowwhere........but I do indulge at times. :)

jebatty said:
No restrictions on logs or pulpwood. And thank God for that, though I don’t see any practical difference between logs/pulpwood and firewood.

I’m glad RI isn’t the only state with the inmates running the asylum…

Plenty of room to find fault and gaps with the restriction, but spread of tree killing insects is very serious stuff. For MN the emerald ash borer is one of the worst that has not yet arrived. Likely to wipe out nearly all ash trees in the state, a large multi-billion dollar loss. This country and states are so lax in protecting our living natural resources from invasive species that it is a wonder that we have any left at all.

As responsible citizens, and wood-burners, we would be wise not to transport or acquire any non-treated or non-kiln dried firewood other than locally - within 50 miles. We also would be wise to spread the word.

100% correct ! The future of your wood supply depends on it. Not just the EAB but other bugs and fungus' also. My service area is 60 miles from home base but I have processors all over that I procure from so as travel distance from supplier to customer is kept to a minimum.

Big worry about nothing for the average scrounger. Who the hell is going to know if you don't admit it. Thats about the bottom line. DEC can be a major PITA for anyone ( especially you poor slobs in that chitty blue line) but they don't account for squat on the road. When was the last time you ever saw DEC out and about? Pure eye candy and really for businesses where they have to have a shipping manifest. I wonder how many of them will be carrying double books soon? Lie, lie and deny! or put in more recent terms, "Dont ask dont tell" just take it a step further and don't tell even if they ask. I would love to see them find some remote way to prove where it came from. I seriously doubt anyone is going to stake out your wood lot and follow you all the way home. Pure tripe!

Driz said:
Big worry about nothing for the average scrounger. Who the hell is going to know if you don't admit it. Thats about the bottom line. DEC can be a major PITA for anyone ( especially you poor slobs in that chitty blue line) but they don't account for squat on the road. When was the last time you ever saw DEC out and about? Pure eye candy and really for businesses where they have to have a shipping manifest. I wonder how many of them will be carrying double books soon? Lie, lie and deny! or put in more recent terms, "Dont ask dont tell" just take it a step further and don't tell even if they ask. I would love to see them find some remote way to prove where it came from. I seriously doubt anyone is going to stake out your wood lot and follow you all the way home. Pure tripe!

Driz
I agree about with you about the DEC NAZIS . I have had more than my fair share of run ins with them. Here in western NY they have become a real presence in the last 2 years and you can hardly go a day without seeing them on the road. I believe NYS is hiring on more officers just to generate revenue. Total BS.

Just over the border in PA there is a ban on transport of firewood across townsip/county lines period. Get caught and big fines. I'm afraid it's coming to NY ,probably next year.

It's in our best interest to transport wood as little as possible .

???? What is the "blue line" anyway?

Just over the border in PA there is a ban on transport of firewood across townsip/county lines period. Get caught and big fines. I’m afraid it’s coming to NY ,probably next year.

Very sad that we may become prisoners of our own yards.....and for what? Someone thinks this will stop the spread of bugs. Well I hardly doubt it.

Carl said:
Just over the border in PA there is a ban on transport of firewood across townsip/county lines period. Get caught and big fines. I’m afraid it’s coming to NY ,probably next year.

Very sad that we may become prisoners of our own yards.....and for what? Someone thinks this will stop the spread of bugs. Well I hardly doubt it.

It wont stop it but it will slow it. From what I have heard they are releasing a certain type of wasp that has a taste for EAB to try and eradicate it.

Well that is just great. The EAB migrated here from Asia and so we are going to release three varieties of Chinese wasps to eradicate them. I just can't wait to see what unexpected consequences the wasps bring with them. After they eat the borers they will go after something.

BrotherBart said:
Well that is just great. The EAB migrated here from Asia and so we are going to release three varieties of Chinese wasps to eradicate them. I just can't wait to see what unexpected consequences the wasps bring with them. After they eat the borers they will go after something.

Probably cross breed with killer bees!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.