New Z42 Installation Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc_Dad

May 10, 2009
Maine
I am finally going to install my Kozy Heat Z42 and would love any recommendations and/or help. I want to have a nice, modest (inexpensive) installation. The fireplance will be going on the 1st floor of my house which is a 1900sq. ft. Colonial. Wifey looked at tile the other day and really liked the real slate which was about $1.70/sq ft. We want a mantle above it. I have laminate flooring in the room where it's going and would like to leave it there. I am thinking of building my own hearth pad that would just sit on top of flooring. I have attached a picture of where it will be sitting, God willing.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 244
I checked out hearth materials today. I'm thinking of making one I can remove in the summer. It looks like just a piece of micore covered in tile will meet the requirements. If I use hi-temp silicone to adhere the tile to micore and between tiles will this hold up?

Well I've started the install. I got a good deal on a granite slab and built the framing for it to sit on yesterday.

Stop, do some research. The proposed plan is wrong. Tile goes on cement board, not on the micore. It is set in thinset, not with adhesive. The cement board sandwich will need to be screwed to the floor or a layer of 3/4" plywood under the micore. Read up on some of the other recent hearth building threads for more tips.

BG the granite is a single piece. It' a 1.25" piece of countertop. I think this will be fine.?

Status
Not open for further replies.