Newb clearence question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobforsaken

Oct 2, 2009
Maine
I've tried to answer my question without posting... I hope its not a repeat.

In reading past posts about clearence it seems that it is taken very seriously and very literally. I have a alcove that is perfect for a wood stove and building a hearth, however its about 4 inches too narrow for the stove I ultimately want. The question I have is... if my stove requres 18" clearence on the sides, but the best I can come up with is 16" clearence, is it possible to build a heat shield of sorts. I've seen cement board with air gaps used for other hearths, but I don't know if that effectively reduces the clearence requirements or what kind of construction I would need to do to achive this clearence reduction. For example, if I have a 1 inch air gap with half inche cementboard, and a half inche of stone and mortar, my clearence on either side woudl be only 14 inches where 18 is required..

Do I just need to face facts that the stove I want will not work in that space? (FYI.. I'm looking at Woodstock Fireview or Keystone)

With a proper NFPA wall shield on the side walls, it looks like the Fireview goes down to 7" side clearance. However, be sure to offset the installation to allow at least 18" on the side-load door side. Also be sure to have the proper alcove ceiling clearance from stove top and from the pipe.

http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/PDFs/fvinstallmanual.pdf

Thanks so much BeGreen.. I think you just made my wife very happy.

You're taking it very well, but don't tell my wife that.

I was 3000 miles away honey, honestly! :lol:

LOL... In order To place this stove I need to put a chimney in. I was planning on doing a 6" Duraplus chimney straight up. However, I fear if I decide to go with the Keystone instead of a Fireview, that I'll regret putting in a 6" chimney. (the Flue size for Fireview is 6" but for the Keystone its 7")

Woodstock's website recommends at least a 7" chimney for the Keystone. My question is, with a straight up installation (of about 16-18 feet.. only 12 foot of chimney), is it a problem to run a Keystone on a 6" chimney? I imagine they make adapters for a reason.

With a straight up flue, it might work ok with the 6". I'd give the folks at Woodstock a call. You will get a real person that can help you make this call.

How large an area will be heated by the stove?

I'll give'em a shout.. Thanks.

For everyone's information.. I spoke with a Woodstock Technician (nice they are available on a Saturday) and he confirmed that the Keystone and Palladian have both been tested with a 7" to 6" reducer, so that they can run on a 6" chimney. "particularly with a straight up installation, there won't be any problems"

WHOO HOO.. On to installing my chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.