Newb. Question about stove with house plan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanborn281

Feb 27, 2015
King george va
Hey guys new guy here! wife and i signed contract today and having our house built. I am only picking one thing and thats i want a pellet stove!! she can pick all the other goodies.

Now the issue is the living room will have interior walls around it.

how do you make it look appealing having a flue go straight up? and out the roof without a leak.

heres the plans

We don't want gas because its so expensive. Even though we will have it for cooking.

At first i wanted a woodstove but pellet stove will work.

Also has a trane 15 seer heat pump.

Thanks guys need some ideas.! Also what brands are good?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 1.53.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 1.53.27 PM.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 174
Look at an Insert, you may be able to build your enclosure to code with proper clearances and cover up the chimney as well ...make it look like the plan.

Your dealer should be able to give you advice on the chimney configuration, you may want to consider those that have integrated outside air supply combined with the exhaust...kind of a coaxial pipe.

Your dealer should be able to give you advice on the chimney configuration, you may want to consider those that have integrated outside air supply combined with the exhaust...kind of a coaxial pipe.
Explain further? ive never heard of that, I know there is it the Flue chart you need to follow but never heard the outside supply in the duct going out

Explain further? ive never heard of that, I know there is it the Flue chart you need to follow but never heard the outside supply in the duct going out
Pipe in a pipe system. 3 inch inner exh pipe and 5 inch outer that brings in the outside air for the stove.

Pipe in a pipe system. 3 inch inner exh pipe and 5 inch outer that brings in the outside air for the stove.
Oh hm! sounds good. I was going to get the OAK system, With the 2 inch pipe running next to it.

Couldnt imagine without using outside air.. will pull drafts like crazy.

First, I really like your floor plan, and Congrats on the new house. As for the stove, the pipe in a pipe system whould work very well. Easier than two pipes side by side.

Selkirk is the company

First, I really like your floor plan, and Congrats on the new house. As for the stove, the pipe in a pipe system whould work very well. Easier than two pipes side by side.
We altered the plan.

we made a 20.4x26 wide garage with a 18ft door.

Also we turned the right bathroom into a jack and jill and got rid of the flex space.

Also we flipped the kitchen to the right and made a 6ft bump out for a breakfast nook type of deal.

and a diff style tub.

Also made a half bath by the washer and dryer

The vaulted ceiling in the Great Room would be my concern. People here have reported that it's difficult to get the heat out of rooms like that.

Since it's all new construction, you have plenty of opportunity to customize things. The more you can micro-manage the heat in the bedrooms and bathrooms, the happier you'll be. I don't know much about them, but mini-splits are mentioned here sometimes, and that might be something for you to research.

Same idea but different approach, our "primary" heat source is electric baseboard. I put programmable thermostats on the rooms we frequently use, and it costs very little to keep those rooms warm during the times they're occupied. It's a lot cheaper to get a room from 64 to 68 degrees than from -5 to 68!

The vaulted ceiling in the Great Room would be my concern. People here have reported that it's difficult to get the heat out of rooms like that.

Since it's all new construction, you have plenty of opportunity to customize things. The more you can micro-manage the heat in the bedrooms and bathrooms, the happier you'll be. I don't know much about them, but mini-splits are mentioned here sometimes, and that might be something for you to research.

Same idea but different approach, our "primary" heat source is electric baseboard. I put programmable thermostats on the rooms we frequently use, and it costs very little to keep those rooms warm during the times they're occupied. It's a lot cheaper to get a room from 64 to 68 degrees than from -5 to 68!
Yeah our primary heat will be a heat pump. But when its 40 degrees or less ill fire the pellet stove up and help take the stress off the heat pump.

Put a ceiling fan in your great room and run it backwards on low....that should distribute the air from the stove nicely

Looks like an easy layout to heat. As mentioned before a ceiling fan in the living area. My question is, where is the air return, because that could distribute the warm air from a pellet insert throughout the entire house. I know from experience heat pumps don't do well if below freezing. Other thing i didn't see was total square footage your trying to heat. I went with a Harman 52i which was the largest fireplace insert I came across.

Reactions: Sanborn281
Looks like an easy layout to heat. As mentioned before a ceiling fan in the living area. My question is, where is the air return, because that could distribute the warm air from a pellet insert throughout the entire house. I know from experience heat pumps don't do well if below freezing. Other thing i didn't see was total square footage your trying to heat. I went with a Harman 52i which was the largest fireplace insert I came across.
1860 sq ft due to new bump out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.