Newb question on Indoor boiler Vs. wood/hybrid stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will find that all 2nd generation gasification stoves have a high degree of cleaning and maintenance that the older 1st generation stoves don't have. The newer stoves have 1000's of dollars of electronics that control all kinds of sensors and blowers. They all utilize expensive refractories that are usually proprietary to each manufacturer meaning expensive service cost's down the road.

Welcome to the forum. I take issue with BOTH of the statements made above. 1. I clean my boiler about every 5 weeks. It takes me about 30 minutes going slow and being anal. I don't consider that a 'high degree of cleaning' It's a wire boiler brush stuffed in a cordless drill.

As for refractory.. What are a couple nozzles for mine? ( I don't know.. I bought a cast iron replacement) I want to say that they were maybe 50 to 80 bucks for a nozzle. You'd likely have to do them every 3rd year ( I burn A LOT of wood for a single home) I don't consider less than 50 bucks a year amortized much money for a heating system that cost 10k to 15k. Heck.. with the money I'm saving I could HIRE out the few times a year cleaning, and likely not even spend as much as I did on oil boiler mtx.

JP

Do your homework
Joe,
Take your time and filter out some of the so called facts you see here. Being a news junkie and a trivia junkie, I do a lot of reading. One can learn mountains of knowledge but just remember that many have a better knowledge of writing than knowledge of the subject they are writing about. I see it every day. Many people are stuck in the past where they feel comfortable but the good ol' days sometimes weren't that good.

Thanks for the input !! For now I've gone out and bought a woodstove...It'll be my master for a few years untill I figure out if we're staying in NY for the longhaul. The Vampire state is getting to be quite the monkey on the back. I have a good head start on wood now that the snow has cleared, more trees to drop tomorrow too. All in all I'm burning wood one way or another!

Status
Not open for further replies.