Newb Scrounger Wood IDs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
It's hard trying to figure what the heck I've scrounged...I'm learning. Any professional opinions from the pics?

Here's what I can tell you:
1) wood is very yellow, a bit stringy and has a thick bark with deep fissures
2) white wood with a thin smooth bark
3) I was told it's maple. any idea what kind? In the soft family since the bark is on the pale side with shallow fissures?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_2276_small.jpg
    DSC_2276_small.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_2278_small.jpg
    DSC_2278_small.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_2281_small.jpg
    DSC_2281_small.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_2280_small.jpg
    DSC_2280_small.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 301
cygnus said:
It's hard trying to figure what the heck I've scrounged...I'm learning. Any professional opinions from the pics?

3) I was told it's maple. any idea what kind? In the soft family since the bark is on the pale side with shallow fissures?

Thanks!

The third picture looks like beech.

zap

pic one and two Locust pic three is beech four is ash.

dannynelson77 said:
Pic 1 and 2 are Locust. Pic 3 is Soft Maple. Pic 4 is Ash.

After Looking closer at it +1

Definitely agree that pic 1 and 2 are black locust

pic 3 could be red maple

if you were told that pic 4 was maple - it could be norway maple - it has bark like that.

actually,

for that matter, pic 3 and 4 could both be norway maple, as the limbs of norway are smooth - you could just have different parts of the same tree. was it all together.

1 and 1a are without a doubt black locust. pic 2 is norway maple. 3 is either ash or white oak (can't tell ror SURE from pic), but I'm leanin toward ash. Cut,split, stack right now- and next year , burn the maple in fall, ash in fall/winter, and ash/locust when its FREEZIN! ;-P

cygnus said:

Thanks!
The stuff with the very deep fissures is no good for firewood. I am also in NJ. I'll take it off your hands. Free pick up!

Awesome responses fellas! Thanks a lot. It really helps to know what I'm dealing with, how and when to use each type. I'll climb the learning curve.

2 and 3 were not from the same tree...and I was told that 3 was maple..I suppose that could be wrong.

Funny thing about the locust...I'm checking CL all the time and this listing popped up. 4-5', 14-18" round sections left a curb that had been down for some time since the splits register at about 21% MC. My 'hauler' is a sedan (more on that some other time) and my tinker toy (listed below) was all I had with a really crappy bar and chain. It took two weeks for me to get a new bar & chain and get there to cut it up and take away. I can't believe no one else swooped in...you missed your chance gzecc! Now it's mine MOOOoooooHAAAAaaaaa!

cygnus said:
Awesome responses fellas! Thanks a lot. It really helps to know what I'm dealing with, how and when to use each type. I'll climb the learning curve.

2 and 3 were not from the same tree...and I was told that 3 was maple..I suppose that could be wrong.

Funny thing about the locust...I'm checking CL all the time and this listing popped up. 4-5', 14-18" round sections left a curb that had been down for some time since the splits register at about 21% MC. My 'hauler' is a sedan (more on that some other time) and my tinker toy (listed below) was all I had with a really crappy bar and chain. It took two weeks for me to get a new bar & chain and get there to cut it up and take away. I can't believe no one else swooped in...you missed your chance gzecc! Now it's mine MOOOoooooHAAAAaaaaa!
I too am surprised I missed it. What town was it in?

CL listing

Only about 5 logs and worked out to about a half cord.

cygnus said:
CL listing

Only about 5 logs and worked out to about a half cord.
I know why I didn't respond. It had the address listed and was too far away. In my mind it could have been very poor quality with poison ivy wrapped around it.

The first two look like Sassafras to me, with the very straight grain and the reddish bark. The bark does look like Locust, but all the Locust I've had here in PA. has more of a yellowish tint and more twisted grain than I'm seeing in the picture. I could be wrong....did it have a sweet aroma to it or a sour one-sweet is Sassy, Locust stinks. Just a thought fellas....

I'm going with 1a and 1b Black Locust. I think 2 looks like Red Maple, but several woods look similar in small diameter sizes. 3 looks like Norway Maple, which looks very much like White Ash, but if someone told you maple, I'll go with Norway Maple.

+1 on everything Wood Duck wrote, except I couldn't tell Red Maple limbs from any other I don't think, so I'm just sayin' Maple on #2. I'm crap at most wood I.D's btw :)

Pic #2 looks like Red Maple to me. Don't know on the others.

cygnus, let me know if that locust is full of bugs or ants or anything. I jus split quite a bit of locust and it was full of bugs. If all black locust is that invested with ants or bugs I'll stay away from it next time. Dont like the thought of ants eating the rest of my wood! Thanks and sorry if it seems I'm jackin this thread.....

First two black locust, last two maple. I don't know the variety of maple in the third photo. Last photo is Norway.

1) Black Locust it is...and I'm very excited about it. I had no idea what I was getting :) It was bit stinky when splitting...sort of like that acidic oak smell. Appears more yellow than shown in the pics but is all very clean with no bugs.
2) Sounds like some kind of Maple. I can live with that. I only have a little.
3) Consensus is Norway Maple

Thanks for the help. What a talented crew!

Status
Not open for further replies.