Newb with an amperage insert/FAU question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellandee

Dec 4, 2014
California
Hello, all. Thanks for this great resource. Just had a Lodi AGP insert put in to replace our zero clearance in the modular home.

I see lots of discussions on fuel cost comparisons. But am I missing the 120V power draw on these? I figure that not only am I saving over the cost of propane here in the stic...er...out in the country, but also the insert blower only draws about 300 watts. The FAU for the propane furnace draws more than twice that.

I did several thread searches here, and didn't see the topic covered.

Any thoughts?

Richard in Neenach, California

We have had threads on power consumption of stoves. Good way to find a related thread would be to checkout the use of UPS to power stoves in power outage. Little surprised your insert fan taking that much power. Most stoves run everything under that.

And 300 watts is a fairly high consistent draw. I have one stove that draws 27, and another 119, except when the ignitor is on.

And 300 watts is a fairly high consistent draw. I have one stove that draws 27, and another 119, except when the ignitor is on.

Just looking at the manual for the Lodi AGP insert. 350 W during start up, 250W during operation. I suppose that's with the blower on high.

Thanks!

I know we had a drop in electric usage when compared to our forced air system... can't remember how much exactly as that was over 3 years ago;lol

Just looking at the manual for the Lodi AGP insert. 350 W during start up, 250W during operation. I suppose that's with the blower on high.

Thanks!
Oh, I don't doubt it. But that's something to consider when buying a stove. An extra 100W, 24x7 for 1/4 of the year and a bit less than that for another two - three months, adds up after several years. Also, check you stove using a kill a watt to see what it actually draws. The old manual for my Quest says 200W, but it looks like the motors have been replaced by the previous owner, and now it draws only 119.

Just looked at the Elena here and varies on low from 61 to 96 watts.

Oh, I don't doubt it. But that's something to consider when buying a stove. An extra 100W, 24x7 for 1/4 of the year and a bit less than that for another two - three months, adds up after several years. Also, check you stove using a kill a watt to see what it actually draws. The old manual for my Quest says 200W, but it looks like the motors have been replaced by the previous owner, and now it draws only 119.

Here I thought I'd done my homework before I bought the insert! Too late now, because the AGP is in and running. I suppose a Kill A Watt would be a handy investment!

I bet on low fan it draws a lot less.

Richard

Hello, all. Thanks for this great resource. Just had a Lodi AGP insert put in to replace our zero clearance in the modular home.

I see lots of discussions on fuel cost comparisons. But am I missing the 120V power draw on these? I figure that not only am I saving over the cost of propane here in the stic...er...out in the country, but also the insert blower only draws about 300 watts. The FAU for the propane furnace draws more than twice that.

I did several thread searches here, and didn't see the topic covered.

Any thoughts?

Richard in Neenach, California
I'm confused, how did you determine your 300 watt draw? Is that by looking at the max rating on the blower motor, or based upon an actual measurement?

Most comments are that the blower uses anywhere from 30 watts on low to 100 watts on high.

I'm confused, how did you determine your 300 watt draw? Is that by looking at the max rating on the blower motor, or based upon an actual measurement?

Most comments are that the blower uses anywhere from 30 watts on low to 100 watts on high.

Just reading the specs in the manual. It says that the unit draws "approximately 350 watts during starting, and 250 watts during operation." I figure that's only rough. I haven't looked at the motor baseplates to see amperage draws, and don't own an ammeter I can use easily on 120 V circuits.

Reactions: chken
Just reading the specs in the manual. It says that the unit draws "approximately 350 watts during starting, and 250 watts during operation." I figure that's only rough. I haven't looked at the motor baseplates to see amperage draws, and don't own an ammeter I can use easily on 120 V circuits.
Interesting, I think most of the folks here would agree that when the igniter is on that the stove will use 300+ watts, but why it would continue to use 250 watts afterward is a bit odd. Most stoves have the same basic parts, a couple fan motors and an augur motor. Let us know what a kilowatt or a UPS with readout tells you.

Interesting, I think most of the folks here would agree that when the igniter is on that the stove will use 300+ watts, but why it would continue to use 250 watts afterward is a bit odd. Most stoves have the same basic parts, a couple fan motors and an augur motor. Let us know what a kilowatt or a UPS with readout tells you.

Because after the igniter does its thing and the fire gets going, the air blower kicks on.

Because after the igniter does its thing and the fire gets going, the air blower kicks on.
Yes, and just from reading the comments above, the running power draw for people varies from as low as 30 watts to over 100watts, that includes augur, combustion fan and blower. Nowhere near 250 watts. My stove's total draw varies from 80 watts to 120 watts, but I keep my blower on the top 3 settings. The augur and combustion fan each draw between 20 and 25 watts. The rest is the blower. I've yet to see someone mention that their stove drew 250 watts, except for the OP's manual.

Should hear the alarm go on the UPS when the Bixby runs ignition cycle to light corn. Pair of 500 watt igniters and an air pump that takes a whopping 1150 watts. Time to almost full heat output a little over 4 minutes.

Maybe it time for some panels on the roof, storage batteries in the closet and run 'green'....oooooooooh, that sounds expensive.

Probably not. A blower on a typical pellet stove shouldn't draw anywhere near that much power. Over 80% the power needed for an ignitor? I think a KillaWatt on that stove would show a much lower draw than stated, or they should be ashamed of themselves for that design.

Yes, and just from reading the comments above, the running power draw for people varies from as low as 30 watts to over 100watts, that includes augur, combustion fan and blower. Nowhere near 250 watts. My stove's total draw varies from 80 watts to 120 watts, but I keep my blower on the top 3 settings. The augur and combustion fan each draw between 20 and 25 watts. The rest is the blower. I've yet to see someone mention that their stove drew 250 watts, except for the OP's manual.

Tim, have you looked at the manual on your unit? I wonder if this is common. Electric space heaters or toasters pretty much draw the amps they say they do, which is why I wondered. Same on fractional horse small electric motors.

I need to get hold of that kill-a-watt, but it may not be that critical to me to buy one.

Richard

Kill o watt is a great tool. I use it to take a baseline of power use on new electrical items and is great on stoves as one can see if a motor is drawing greater power and indicates possible failure. Worth the $20. Be surprised by how much or little that idiot box is drawing other than robbing your brain.

My stove's APC displays power consumption.

As do mine. Newb with an amperage insert/FAU questionBut don't do a running tally of power consumed.

Yup, my display is identical.

I'd like to put in the Kill a Watt, but the plug is internal on the pellet insert with the existing plug from the old ZC fireplace. I should probably learn how to access it anyway, for our rare power outages/trusty Honda genny days.

Status
Not open for further replies.