newb with an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Williams

Oct 1, 2013
Dexter MI
Ok after lurking around i found out that i have an insert with the nickel plated doors, that being said i got it for free :) from my father in law its been sitting in his pole barn for 23 yrs. I plan on getting rid of my gas log (previous owner) and putting the fisher in, it was a masonry fireplace before they put the gas log in. I'm having the chimney inspected but my questions are before the chimney guy tries to up sell me more crap is do i need a liner or can i just drop it in as is? I have to refinish the insert it has a little rust but not too bad any tips on refreshing it? thanks for any advice

Rob

I'd go with the correct pipe through the chimney.

Hey, Rob- did you have success fabbing a blower for the insert? It looks like I may be doing that, myself. Would you care to share a pic or 2 ? Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks! David

Status
Not open for further replies.