1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Newb

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Moe Hunter, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Hi gang, new burner here. I just put in a PE Super insert and have been burning exclusively for two weeks now and it's great.

The plan is to buy a tri-axle of logs and buck and split them myself and then begin the scrounge in the spring and summer.

I gotta guy who will sell me what he says is about 22 face cord of mixed hard wood in 8 or 16 foot lengths for 1000$

I just purchased a 455 Rancher to do the cutting and am anxious to get cutting but don't want to get burned on the wood price. I am in Ottawa Ontario, my question then is does the price I'm am bein quotes sound reasonable? Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Sound about right for your area. Thats 125.00 per cord.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Welcome to the forum Moe.

The price is probably right, as Jay stated.

Get that wood cut to length and split just as fast as you can. Most wood needs a year to dry after being split! If you have some oak in there, don't plan on burning that next year for sure; it won't be ready. Oak needs about 3 years to dry properly.

Get the split wood stacked off the ground and stack it in the windiest spot you have. That will dry the wood the fastest. If you have a wood shed, don't put the wood in there until it has dried outside! Don't try to stack the wood really tight either. Stack it a bit loose so it gets air circulation.

Enjoy.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Thanks gents. This forum seems to be full of good advice. Dang it's nice to be off oil.
    FireBones, chvymn99 and ScotO like this.
  5. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744986.924331.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361745011.411098.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361745055.645187.jpg

Not a bad weekend.
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Either you are a very short man or those logs are huge. ;)

Seriously, good work! :cool: Doesn't look too 'mixed'; What kind of wood is that?
    ScotO likes this.
  7. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Nice work! Awesome sight those log loads are!
    Moe Hunter likes this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Good weekend?? Heck I'd say you had a GREAT weekend, you got a lot of work done there, my friend! I agree its a great feeling to be dependent on NO-ONE for keeping your family warm....looks like your little helper had fun working with ya!

Welcome to the club!!
    Moe Hunter likes this.
  9. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yeah baby. Not too shabby for a "beginner". ;)
    Moe Hunter likes this.
  10. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Thanks. I'm gonna try a holz houzen next. If you look closely at the stack you can see my wife behind there somewhere.

The Husqvarna 455 cut like a champ too. I did end up breaking the handle of my 8lb mail, fortunately I bought a second handle and some wedges the day I bought the maul as I anticipated that a 30$ maul may have some issues.

It's
    Mostly ash and there is some red maple in there too.
  11. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    You could try the Fiskars maul too as it isn't much more money. Odds are good you'll never break the handle, and if you do, they'll replace it for free. Some people love it, and others are indifferent.
  12. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Think I might pick up a fiskars tomorrow.
  13. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Now, that right there is a decent pile of wood for sure, SWEET!
  14. FireBones

FireBones Member

Loc:
    Norfolk County Ontario
    Nice work Moe, your going to be an addict in no time!! Keep the pics coming....
  15. LuckyLane

LuckyLane Member

Loc:
    North Central Ohio
    Welcome Moe from another newbie and good choice on your insert as I have the same!

I actually have a 3 pt splitter that I run off my tractor but since buying my fiskars, it doesn't get much use. I usually cut and buck my rounds and accumulate a pile. Then I split by hand an hour or two at a time. Slowly work away at it but I enjoy the time outside and find it to be good stress relief after a busy day. Going on my second season with the fiskars and don't regret the purchase.
    Shane N likes this.
  16. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Welcome MH......Really fine job gettin that split and stacked you have a nice start at it. I have hydraulics now after about 30 years of splitting by hand. Always liked my monster maul and you don't have to worry about breaking any handles.
  17. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

I picked up the X27. It is a little light but it works well. I found myself switching to the 8lb'er a few time. The 8lber never bounces off.

I like to have tools in the chest so to speak and I am happy with the purchase.

I'm thinking I need to work on my swing.
    Senatormofo and Woody Stover like this.
  18. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Moe, you'll be in great shape physically and otherwise when you're done with that pile! I basically scrounge for my wood or use CL to get a pick up truck load here & there but man I would love to have a stack of wood delivered like that to work on!
  19. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

It's a little daunting too look at but the reward outweighs the trepidation in IMO.

My co workers think I'm crazy and there has been no shortage of wood puns on my face book wall.

Loving it all. Woodn't you?

The naysayers can kiss my ash.
  20. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    You'll get used to how it works best. It does force you to pay closer attention to where the log is most likely going to want to split. I rarely ever have mine bounce any more. When I first got it, it bounced a lot. Now I have to be splitting some really knotty hardwood for that to happen. Usually a second, better placed hit will split it.
  21. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    That would be expensive here for logs, but could be a good deal for you.
    My calcs showed $136/cord, and I paid 75 last time I got a load. Perhaps my cackalatin' skilz are lacking.
    Not trying to rain on your log parade, just a comparison.
    Bottom line, feels good getting all that done for yourself and your family, eh?
  22. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Guys in this area charge about 100$ for a split face cord. I'm happy with it.

What I'm not happy about is the whine coming from the blower fan on the insert. It's quite obnoxious. I took it out and oiled the axle today and it got worse. Any Advice?
  23. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362347942.744940.jpg

Got back at 'er again today. The Fiskars is pretty awesome. Good control and accuracy.
  24. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Moe, I hope you have something under that stack besides snow and ice. You might want to redo those ends though as they might not stay put where you have them now. Especially that left side. If you don't stack straight up, then lean it a bit toward the inside. It helps.
  25. Moe Hunter

Moe Hunter New Member

Thanks BS. There are some one inch thick boards from an old pallet underneath that there stack o'wood. That'll hopefully provide enough clearance. As for the tower, I noticed the lean after it was done. I may go try and push it in.