Newb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe Hunter

Feb 6, 2013
Hi gang, new burner here. I just put in a PE Super insert and have been burning exclusively for two weeks now and it's great.

The plan is to buy a tri-axle of logs and buck and split them myself and then begin the scrounge in the spring and summer.

I gotta guy who will sell me what he says is about 22 face cord of mixed hard wood in 8 or 16 foot lengths for 1000$

I just purchased a 455 Rancher to do the cutting and am anxious to get cutting but don't want to get burned on the wood price. I am in Ottawa Ontario, my question then is does the price I'm am bein quotes sound reasonable? Thanks.

Sound about right for your area. Thats 125.00 per cord.

Reactions: ScotO
Welcome to the forum Moe.

The price is probably right, as Jay stated.

Get that wood cut to length and split just as fast as you can. Most wood needs a year to dry after being split! If you have some oak in there, don't plan on burning that next year for sure; it won't be ready. Oak needs about 3 years to dry properly.

Get the split wood stacked off the ground and stack it in the windiest spot you have. That will dry the wood the fastest. If you have a wood shed, don't put the wood in there until it has dried outside! Don't try to stack the wood really tight either. Stack it a bit loose so it gets air circulation.

Enjoy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744986.924331.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361745011.411098.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361745055.645187.jpg

Not a bad weekend.

Either you are a very short man or those logs are huge. ;)

Seriously, good work! :cool: Doesn't look too 'mixed'; What kind of wood is that?

Nice work! Awesome sight those log loads are!

Reactions: Moe Hunter
Good weekend?? Heck I'd say you had a GREAT weekend, you got a lot of work done there, my friend! I agree its a great feeling to be dependent on NO-ONE for keeping your family warm....looks like your little helper had fun working with ya!

Welcome to the club!!

Reactions: Moe Hunter
Thanks. I'm gonna try a holz houzen next. If you look closely at the stack you can see my wife behind there somewhere.

The Husqvarna 455 cut like a champ too. I did end up breaking the handle of my 8lb mail, fortunately I bought a second handle and some wedges the day I bought the maul as I anticipated that a 30$ maul may have some issues.

It's
Mostly ash and there is some red maple in there too.

You could try the Fiskars maul too as it isn't much more money. Odds are good you'll never break the handle, and if you do, they'll replace it for free. Some people love it, and others are indifferent.

Nice work Moe, your going to be an addict in no time!! Keep the pics coming....

Think I might pick up a fiskars tomorrow.

Welcome Moe from another newbie and good choice on your insert as I have the same!

I actually have a 3 pt splitter that I run off my tractor but since buying my fiskars, it doesn't get much use. I usually cut and buck my rounds and accumulate a pile. Then I split by hand an hour or two at a time. Slowly work away at it but I enjoy the time outside and find it to be good stress relief after a busy day. Going on my second season with the fiskars and don't regret the purchase.

Reactions: Shane N
Welcome MH......Really fine job gettin that split and stacked you have a nice start at it. I have hydraulics now after about 30 years of splitting by hand. Always liked my monster maul and you don't have to worry about breaking any handles.

I picked up the X27. It is a little light but it works well. I found myself switching to the 8lb'er a few time. The 8lber never bounces off.

I like to have tools in the chest so to speak and I am happy with the purchase.

I'm thinking I need to work on my swing.

Moe, you'll be in great shape physically and otherwise when you're done with that pile! I basically scrounge for my wood or use CL to get a pick up truck load here & there but man I would love to have a stack of wood delivered like that to work on!

It's a little daunting too look at but the reward outweighs the trepidation in IMO.

My co workers think I'm crazy and there has been no shortage of wood puns on my face book wall.

Loving it all. Woodn't you?

The naysayers can kiss my ash.

I picked up the X27. It is a little light but it works well. I found myself switching to the 8lb'er a few time. The 8lber never bounces off.

I like to have tools in the chest so to speak and I am happy with the purchase.

I'm thinking I need to work on my swing.

You'll get used to how it works best. It does force you to pay closer attention to where the log is most likely going to want to split. I rarely ever have mine bounce any more. When I first got it, it bounced a lot. Now I have to be splitting some really knotty hardwood for that to happen. Usually a second, better placed hit will split it.

That would be expensive here for logs, but could be a good deal for you.
My calcs showed $136/cord, and I paid 75 last time I got a load. Perhaps my cackalatin' skilz are lacking.
Not trying to rain on your log parade, just a comparison.
Bottom line, feels good getting all that done for yourself and your family, eh?

Guys in this area charge about 100$ for a split face cord. I'm happy with it.

What I'm not happy about is the whine coming from the blower fan on the insert. It's quite obnoxious. I took it out and oiled the axle today and it got worse. Any Advice?

Moe, I hope you have something under that stack besides snow and ice. You might want to redo those ends though as they might not stay put where you have them now. Especially that left side. If you don't stack straight up, then lean it a bit toward the inside. It helps.

Thanks BS. There are some one inch thick boards from an old pallet underneath that there stack o'wood. That'll hopefully provide enough clearance. As for the tower, I noticed the lean after it was done. I may go try and push it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.