newbe basement install chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bone331

Feb 6, 2011
vassar mi
hi..first post, i was refered here from michigan sportsmans forums

my house was built in 1900. i have a full fieldstone basement. i plan on installing a wood burning forced air unit in the basement and tying it into my existing gas furnace duct work.

my question is can i run double or triple wall stainless pipe out one of the basement windows and up the side of the house?
its about 25 feet to the highest peak.

im pretty sure the physics of it will work. more asking as it applys to insurance and code purposes

bone331 said:
hi..first post, i was refered here from michigan sportsmans forums

my house was built in 1900. i have a full fieldstone basement. i plan on installing a wood burning forced air unit in the basement and tying it into my existing gas furnace duct work.

my question is can i run double or triple wall stainless pipe out one of the basement windows and up the side of the house?
its about 25 feet to the highest peak.

im pretty sure the physics of it will work. more asking as it applys to insurance and code purposes

Code is a local thing but.... It is not unusual to run up the side of the house, not ideal but I have mine double wall dura vent up the side of house. As far as out the window???? That I could not answer but, if you are going to go out the window, what is the plan of sealing the opening? Just wondering.

As far as the insurance, that all depends on the company. I have Erie insurance and all they wanted to know was brand, model, and who installed it. Since they were familiar with the company that installed they needed nothing more.

Shawn

the windows are small only about 10 inches high and 18 inches wide at ground level. i was going to box it in and use the correct collar for the chimney to pass thru a wall. what would the differance be in having to punch an extra hole in the top of my foundation?

short answer yes, triple wall would be best. Longer - you may have to open up the window area for code clearances. Even with triple wall you will likely need to enclose the flue run in an insulated chase up the side of the house, Other wise the flue gas could cool too quickly resulting in creosote build up from condensing vapors. This would also help minimize reverse draft problems at a cold start. An additional consideration is the location of the appliance in relation to the exit area of the flue. Long horizontal or very slow rise of the flue to that exit should be avoided, the shorter the better, 90 deg turns should also be avoided, a pair of 45's is a better choice. I would also , when speaking to ins co use the turn solid fuel appliance v/s wood furnace as it does not set off the alarms as easily. With some ins co the term wood heat will get you a cancellation noitice in less time than it took me to type this.

Status
Not open for further replies.